TravelTalkOnline

Departure Taxes?

Posted By: CottageGirl

Departure Taxes? - 02/08/2015 05:01 PM

I'm trying to figure out cash needs for our party of six next month. And I'm finding Google searching is giving me conflicting info. So .....
1. Is there a departure tax from St. Thomas to Tortola going via ferry? If so how much?
2. Are there any fees checking into C&I in the BVI's? How much?
3. Departure tax from BVI's to St Thomas via ferry? (I think this is $20?)
4. Departure tax at St Thomas airport flying to the states? How much?

Thanks!!
Julie
Posted By: RonP

Re: Departure Taxes? - 02/08/2015 06:15 PM

Re #1, there is but not sure the amount, as it was rolled into our ferry tickets. Cash was not needed. It's not like the BVI where you go to the separate window and pay it. It was included in the (in our case) CC purchase of the tickets. You will need a few bucks for "the bag man" though, if you want your bags to get (thrown) onto the ferry. Don't worry, he'll remind you ;-)

#2, you mean getting off the ferry and going to C&I, or are you talking about entering on a private boat? The way you said "checking in" threw me. If you mean coming off the ferry, no, C&I wouldn't charge any money unless you were bringing in something they put duty on. There's no fee per se.

Re #3, BVI departure tax via ferry was $20/pp cash, paid at the separate counter.

#4, no idea, but if there is such a thing you paid it when you bought your air ticket. You won't get hit up for cash at STT unless you hire a porter or unless you want to eat something.
Posted By: Nutmeg

Re: Departure Taxes? - 02/08/2015 06:29 PM

The U.S.V.I. doesn't charge departure tax, however, the Port Authority recently added some sort of fee for ferries to the BVI. You don't get charged at the airport to go from US territory to US mainland.
Posted By: gordaguy2

Re: Departure Taxes? - 02/08/2015 07:37 PM

we flew out of Virgin Gorda two weeks ago and it was 15.00 per person.
Posted By: tradewinds

Re: Departure Taxes? - 02/08/2015 07:44 PM

The USVI Port Authority added a $10 fee to the ferry fares.
Posted By: tpcook

Re: Departure Taxes? - 02/08/2015 08:26 PM

you can use a cc for the BVI tax

Re: Departure Taxes? - 02/08/2015 09:14 PM

Thanks - that helps!
As for C&I coming into the BVI's via ferry, will we need to pay an import tax on a cooler of meats (provisioning for our charter)? If so any idea of the rate?
Posted By: IWIWSE

Re: Departure Taxes? - 02/08/2015 09:38 PM

We bring a cooler with us. We declare what we're bringing in. Normally they just wave us through. I think one year we paid $10.00
Ellen
Posted By: Rhindley

Re: Departure Taxes? - 02/09/2015 03:41 PM

Is using a cc for the departure tax new? I remember having to pay cash...

Re: Departure Taxes? - 02/09/2015 05:40 PM

Thanks Ellen!
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline