TravelTalkOnline

Sailing with kids. Anegada? Peter Island?

Posted By: BVIAddict

Sailing with kids. Anegada? Peter Island? - 03/16/2015 06:12 PM

Starting Friday we will be sailing with our 10 and 11 year old children for 8 days. We sailed with them last year, we all had a great time, they seemed to like the north sound area and Jost. They were bored in Anegada, but we love it there and want to stay a couple of days. Which brings my question, is there anything on Anegada for kids to do? What about Peter Island? Any other kid suggestions?

Thank you!
Posted By: Cratti

Re: Sailing with kids. Anegada? Peter Island? - 03/16/2015 07:33 PM

Try Anegada Beach club. A small pool but still a nice novelty. And the kite boarding is fun to watch.
Posted By: Twanger

Re: Sailing with kids. Anegada? Peter Island? - 03/16/2015 08:45 PM

We staged a "treasure hunt" for the kids on Anegada.

While the guys kept the kids busy swimming, the ladies went out around Pomato Point and and buried a small treasure chest about the size of a football with old coins and paper money I'd collected while abroad for many years. Walker and Nancy donated some Mardi-Gras beads. We also had some fake gems.

The ladies also made a treasure map, put it in a bottle, and hid it under a bush near the water. Then they waved us in.

We sprung the trap "Hey what's this?" looking at the bottle under the bush.

The grandkids saw the map inside and went berzerk looking for the treasure, and didn't want anyone to help dig least they have to share the treasure. They found the treasure and, oh man, they were RICH! They spent several hours back on the boat dividing the loot up.

Years later they are still none the wiser that we planted that treasure chest.
Posted By: Rhindley

Re: Sailing with kids. Anegada? Peter Island? - 03/23/2015 03:31 AM

Peter Island used to have a blow up water trampoline and kayaks...
Posted By: mdoyle9999

Re: Sailing with kids. Anegada? Peter Island? - 03/23/2015 09:27 AM

Peter Island ha a beautiful pool and beach. But, I would pick Anegada.
Here are some thoughts-
Rent a car and tour the island. There is a iguana preserve in the settlement. You can hike in to see a flock of flamingos. Take them bone fishing. If they don't snorkel yet, Cow Wreck is a great place to learn.
Just a few ideas. I also love the treasure hunt idea..
Posted By: onlymedication

Re: Sailing with kids. Anegada? Peter Island? - 03/23/2015 04:55 PM

Mike, I don't think I had heard about the iguana preserve. What is that like?
Posted By: mdoyle9999

Re: Sailing with kids. Anegada? Peter Island? - 03/23/2015 05:23 PM

It is pretty simple preserve, but the kids could get up close to pretty good sized iguanas.
The Anegada iguana is amongst a group of iguanas that are the most endangered on earth. So, a small sacuntuary was created in the Settlement to help breed and preserve the native lisards.
It's pretty interesting as is the restoration of the flamingo population which has been a remarkable success so far.
Here is a link to their site that describes the recovery plan: http://iguanafoundation.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/Anegada_Iguana_SRP_2006-2010.pdf
Posted By: onlymedication

Re: Sailing with kids. Anegada? Peter Island? - 03/23/2015 05:40 PM

Cool Mike, thanks for sharing! This sounds like something that my inlaws might enjoy on our trip later this year.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline