TravelTalkOnline

Sailboat question....

Posted By: notahippie

Sailboat question.... - 08/19/2015 01:42 PM

First - hi kids! It has been too long since I've read and or posted here. Many of y'all were important sources of information and guidance when Mrs. NotAHippie and I made our first BVI trip in 2014.

We are planning our next trip for 2016 (missed this year because of a lack of travel dollars). I would love to do a bare boat, but she wants to be land based again. She wins, BUT I do want to put to use my new and still growing sailing skills while we are there.

Though my Google-Fu is strong, I have been unable to find a "rent a sailboat for the day" outfit in the USVI or BVI. Do any exist?
Posted By: dayhiker

Re: Sailboat question.... - 08/19/2015 01:47 PM

BEYC rents by the hour or day. I don't recall the biggest they rent. Maybe a C22.
Posted By: Twanger

Re: Sailboat question.... - 08/19/2015 02:15 PM

If memory serves... Bitter End Yacht club has day-sailors, or used to. What I don't remember is: do you have to stay there at the resort to use them?
Posted By: notahippie

Re: Sailboat question.... - 08/19/2015 02:44 PM

I checked em out - looks like boats are available to guests during a 7 day stay. But for the cost of a 7 day stay and BE, we'd have to sell plasma for a few years.
Posted By: bviboater

Re: Sailboat question.... - 08/19/2015 03:54 PM

While true that all waters sports and boats at BEYC are INCLUDED in a 7 day stay, people not staying there are welcome to rent boats by the hour/day whatever is normal. I used rent hobo's or sunfish while moored at BEYC on a Moorings bareboat.
Posted By: ericlut

Re: Sailboat question.... - 08/19/2015 04:55 PM

Same here. We rented one of BEYC's Hobies for a few hours last time we moored there. Had a blast bombing around North Sound.
Posted By: Manpot

Re: Sailboat question.... - 08/19/2015 05:52 PM

Joe at Patouche is offering a couple of days captained charters..sponsor here..
Posted By: CaptnAndy

Re: Sailboat question.... - 09/09/2015 01:29 AM

We rented 4 Hobie Cats, and had a family regatta. Our adult children still laugh about it 5 years later!
Posted By: LianeLeTendre

Re: Sailboat question.... - 09/09/2015 11:57 PM

Sadly, day sailing is something that is lacking on Tortola and the BVI in general. Blue Rush Water Sports at Leverick Bay has a Hobie Cat for rent.

Other than that, you might try BVI Yacht Charters. "IF" they have a boat on the dock, they may do a deal with you for a day or two. They used to do that ... not sure if they still do but it's worth a shot. Call them at 494-4289.
Posted By: calsail

Re: Sailboat question.... - 09/10/2015 01:32 PM

And if you have the luck to have Joe in person onboard for a few days I guarentee you will hear more than you need to hear, eat more than you should, drink more than is responsible, and have your "fun meter" pegged at all times. CALL PATOUCHE
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline