TravelTalkOnline

Life in the Virgin Islands.

Posted By: Peacefulskys

Life in the Virgin Islands. - 08/26/2015 03:51 PM

"Greetings! This is Linda and Roger on S/V Dalliance and THIS is our story. Two years ago this month we decided to sell the house and almost everything we own, quit our jobs, and move to the Virgin Islands to start a small term charter business. We often have questions and this site looks like a good avenue for support. As I write, our boat is on the hard at Nanny Cay getting bottom paint. Roger and I are staying at Nanny Cay Hotel. The boat will weather tropical storm Erika on the hard. (yeah!!) Before Danny became a non threat we headed to Culebra looking for refuge from the storm... We are so grateful there was not storm because her draft is too deep to get into the mangroves and we would not have fared well even in a severe tropical storm. Now that I am in this site I can read how others are weathering storm season. We need a place to keep our boat next year and we are definitely on a budget. Any thoughts? Love Linda "
Posted By: sail2wind

Re: Life in the Virgin Islands. - 08/26/2015 04:34 PM

We have kept our boat at Nanny Cay for years. Nothing secured is cheap, but we like the service, food, Budget Marine, and small store make Nanny Cay a great place to keep a boat.
Posted By: warren460

Re: Life in the Virgin Islands. - 08/27/2015 01:30 AM

We are on our third season at nanny cay. Not cheap. Boats well secured.
Posted By: Buddy

Re: Life in the Virgin Islands. - 08/27/2015 12:50 PM

Hello Linda. I have kept my boat at Nanny Cay during hurricane season for the past 11 years. It is not cheap but there are very few other choices. In the BVI Spanish Town VG is a bit cheaper but still pricey. St. Thomas has a couple places, no bargains there either and finally Puerto Rico. Salinas on the south shore is the least expensive I have found. The other option is to leave it in the water and put it in a hurricane hole if a storm approaches. St. John has a couple good spots it you can get there early enough to stick it in the mangroves. Problem is you must be around all the time or have someone to move it for you. I have been in the BVI for many years and have learned a few things over that time. If I can be of any assistance PM me at your convenience.

Capt. Buddy
Posted By: RickG

Re: Life in the Virgin Islands. - 08/27/2015 01:02 PM

We draw 6'5" and keep our boat at Independent Boat Yard on St. Thomas. I certainly wouldn't want to try and get in there with 7' or more of draught. The marina is in the mangroves and has a hurricane plan. We are 6' off the dock right now with storm lines secured and anchor out. They have some dry storage, but you'd probably need to reserve quite early. STX has some options as well.

Cheers, RickG
Posted By: Jeannius

Re: Life in the Virgin Islands. - 08/27/2015 02:54 PM

If you are staying on the boat and not on charter through hurricane season I recommend heading south to Grenada. Nice cruising community down there and a great break from the hard work of chartering.

Re: Life in the Virgin Islands. - 08/28/2015 06:30 PM

Our original plan was to head down to Grenada to do summer charters but just too many changes in our lives so we decided to stay. Next year we will either go down or be on the hard. Just need to get through this year.

Re: Life in the Virgin Islands. - 08/28/2015 06:32 PM

Thanks Rick. Good to know. We talked to Independence but they said they have very few slips that will meet our needs d/t deep draft. We left feeling it wasn't an option but maybe it is.

Re: Life in the Virgin Islands. - 08/28/2015 06:34 PM

How did your boat fare last night?

Re: Life in the Virgin Islands. - 08/28/2015 06:36 PM

Thanks Captain Buddy. Good information. Hopefully next summer we make enough money from our charters, we plan to take the boat out of the water for the summer and go home.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline