TravelTalkOnline

windyty

Posted By: TackingAg

windyty - 12/02/2015 04:41 PM

I'm posting this through he BVI forum since there's been much discussion about swell directions when planning for overnight stops and various services folks use to watch for it. I got an email last night from Active Captain promoting the free service, windyty. Pretty cool. I've seen other animation overlays, but this is nice in bring several of them together. And you can click on the circles shown on the map to pull up additional charts and readings from that station - as well a web cams in the area. I found it interesting to watch the swell direction and how it can change just in a matter of a day or two. Not so sure if the colors truly match with the measurements shown on the right, though. Would love to hear thoughts from those that are much more experienced watching these forecasts.

Windyty Website
Posted By: Kirk

Re: windyty - 12/02/2015 05:16 PM

Kind of interesting...looks like you have to get it on the right zoom level for the color gizmo/thingy to work.
Posted By: cwoody

Re: windyty - 12/02/2015 05:43 PM

Very cool, but
Looks like a few kinks to work out.

Windty has this afternoon wind forecasted at +30k
Weather Underground has forecasted 10 to 15.

Hold on to your hats.

Re: windyty - 12/02/2015 07:33 PM

I was thinking the same when I assumed that the colored animation (pretty streaking lines) was tied to the measurement table on the right. But I think those measurements really only apply when you zoom out from the map and see the colors displayed on the map overlay itself. If that makes sense. The link I provided above was already zoomed in too close.
Posted By: msdj69

Re: windyty - 12/02/2015 08:04 PM

Nice find. I find the graphics to be very intuitive and easy to follow. I compared the upcoming 3-5 day forecast with WindGuru and they're pretty darned close to each other. I'll keep monitoring until my Jan 26 BVI charter to see if it follows the WindGuru forecasts (which I consider to be fairly accurate).

Re: windyty - 12/02/2015 10:05 PM

We kick off from the dock on Jan 23, so we'll see you around the neighborhood! Cattitude Lagoon 450.

Re: windyty - 12/02/2015 10:18 PM

I also like the time-elapsed web cam captures they link to on lookr. Click anywhere on the map, go to "See details...", at the bottom should be nearby web cams. Click on it to go to lookr. I've checked on several of these same web cams (like Cooper) once in awhile to see how the mooring fields are filling, but it's cool to see it time elapsed over the last day, month or even year.
Posted By: RickG

Re: windyty - 12/03/2015 12:06 AM

Ja, I saw the ActiveCaptain newsletter this morning and liked what I saw. Its sort of like a poor man's predictwind.com. Windfinder has actuals from weather stations too, but no throbbing graphical swirlies.

My favorite predictor for swells in the VI is still buoy 41043.

Cheers, RickG
Posted By: msdj69

Re: windyty - 12/03/2015 12:29 AM

TackingAg said:
We kick off from the dock on Jan 23, so we'll see you around the neighborhood! Cattitude Lagoon 450.

Awesome! We will be on Voyage 500 ''Osprey'. We sleep aboard at Soper's Hole on the 26th. We're staying at the Bight on the 27th and then working our way up the Drake towards the North Sound. If the weather is cooperative, we'll make a stop at Cooper for a night. We'll be at Leverick for the buffet and Jumbies Friday night.

We'll post our trip in the BVI travel calendar right away. I'll check TTOL for updates along the way to see where you are. Hopefully we can connect for a beer (or two).
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline