TravelTalkOnline

Reef safe sunscreen recommendations?

Posted By: RickG

Reef safe sunscreen recommendations? - 12/03/2015 03:50 PM

Reef safe sunscreen - are there any brands you like? I need to convert from my beloved Neutrogena Dry-Touch SPF 55. Reviews are grim to challenging for some of the products. As a swarthy Irishman I need something that will actually work. The products I'm looking at are from Bullfrog, Badger and Honest Company.

Cheers, RickG
Posted By: Sunnykm

Re: Reef safe sunscreen recommendations? - 12/03/2015 03:54 PM

Reef safe?

Why do you have to give up your Neutrogena?
Posted By: tradewinds

Re: Reef safe sunscreen recommendations? - 12/03/2015 04:24 PM

From another Irishman, I stopped using Neutrogena a couple years ago and have been using Kiss My Face. You can get 3 oz tubes on Amazon.
Posted By: HoosierDaddy

Re: Reef safe sunscreen recommendations? - 12/03/2015 06:17 PM

Sunnykm said:
Reef safe?

Why do you have to give up your Neutrogena?

I don't have all the details but I seem to recall that some chemicals from sunscreen are hazarduous to live coral. Others with more knowledge will likely chime in and elaborate.
Posted By: GlennA

Re: Reef safe sunscreen recommendations? - 12/03/2015 07:25 PM

Oxybenzone is toxic to corals but it is used in the vast majority of sunscreens because it screens UV better than anything else. Neutrogena sunscreeen has the highest percentage of Oxybenzone of all sunscreens. Coral is sensitive to Oxybenzone down to a concentration of 1 in 62 trillion.

Because it filters UV better than almost anything else it is hard to find an oxybenzone free sunscreen higher than SPF30. Almost none of the formulas used by the big name producers.

Here is a list of products suggested by the Environmental Working Group , that studies this sort of things.

Re: Reef safe sunscreen recommendations? - 12/03/2015 08:19 PM

Glenn, I had a look at the EWG product list. The reviews on a lot of those products are "ick." Some of the ingredient lists would work in a salad dressing if you left out the titanium and zinc oxides (Badger Sport). The replacements for Oxybenzone require you to follow their protocol to be effective - be completely dry, apply 15 minutes before dressing, rub in thoroughly, do not rub in too thoroughly, re-apply every 2 hours. Repeat.

Chris, thanks for the tip. I think my dermatologist would recommend a Burka and window shades if I asked about sunscreen. I'll report back on my preferences. With the prices for the reef safe options its a good thing I started wearing swim shirts all the time. Plus, they hide the marks my dermatologist leaves. Having a full bimini makes a big difference too.

Some of the other "scary" chemicals are Butylparaben and Octinoxate, plus 4-methylbenzylidene camphor (not sold in US).

Cheers, RickG
Posted By: HillsideView

Re: Reef safe sunscreen recommendations? - 12/03/2015 10:37 PM

Some Irishmen you guys are. A GOOD Irishman KNOWS the best sunscreen is the inside of a PUB!!

Re: Reef safe sunscreen recommendations? - 12/04/2015 01:54 AM

I'm so glad you told me about the problems to the reef with the chemicals--I had no idea. Last trip I used a physical sunscreen and an spf 50 swim shirt. I wasn't sure how I would like the feel of the shirt but I really liked the protection.

The shirt was from Athleta and I highly recommend it.
Posted By: CottageGirl

Re: Reef safe sunscreen recommendations? - 12/04/2015 12:49 PM

Sunnykm - I love my swim shirt/rash guard from Athleta!
Posted By: sail445

Re: Reef safe sunscreen recommendations? - 12/04/2015 01:21 PM

Oxybenzone is lighter then water so it floats like the diesel in your exhaust.

Re: Reef safe sunscreen recommendations? - 12/04/2015 03:23 PM

Sunnykm, most physical sunscreens are reef safe. You can check the label to see if it contains Oxybenzone, Butylparaben or Octinoxate.

I'm pulling together a list and will test drive some products. Tradewinds has used one of these products longer than anyone else I know. One of my redheaded STJ resident friends mentions using 40% zinc oxide diaper cream. She looks great, but it might be that professional dancer glow.

Cheers, RickG

Re: Reef safe sunscreen recommendations? - 12/04/2015 05:31 PM

Rick look forward to your sunscreen testing. The physical ones are so thick and a pain to use and tough to wash off the face.

Next trip I plan to carry on only so will need to purchase sunscreen when I arrive. Hope they have safe products available in Tortola
Posted By: Subaqua

Re: Reef safe sunscreen recommendations? - 12/05/2015 01:21 AM

Best sun protection for the coral (and jellyfish to boot). Forget the sunscreen.
http://www.leisurepro.com/p-blrlm/neosport-unisex-lycra-spandex-skin-suit
Posted By: Annoddddd

Re: Reef safe sunscreen recommendations? - 12/05/2015 03:32 AM

We like the swim clothes, shirts, jackets and even skull caps.

The swim skort is my favorite.

http://www.coolibar.com
Posted By: JudyG

Re: Reef safe sunscreen recommendations? - 12/08/2015 10:49 PM

I am so glad to see this being discussed; a number of years ago, I dared to suggest that all the stuff we put on our bodies, esp. Sunscreen couldn't be good for coral and I recall being dismissed...while I was not aware of the specific chemical details it sure seemed logical that goopy stuff that clung to our bodies might do the same to live coral, thereby suffocating it. The more we "advance" it seems the more damage we do to ourselves and our environment.
Posted By: IslandGator

Re: Reef safe sunscreen recommendations? - 12/09/2015 01:26 PM

While I have never used "BadgerBalm", there are some interesting facts and article links on this URL>

http://www.badgerbalm.com/s-35-coral-reef-safe-sunscreen.aspx
Posted By: camelot

Re: Reef safe sunscreen recommendations? - 12/10/2015 02:51 PM

Timing is also a factor -- applying a "waterproof" chemical sunscreen and getting right in the water is worse than allowing 30 minutes to bind to the skin and then rub off any excess.
Amount is also a factor -- to use a chemical sunscreen on ears, face and backs of hands only then use a UV rash guard with long sleeves minimizes environmental impact and maximizes sun protection
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline