TravelTalkOnline

Cell phone help

Posted By: floet

Cell phone help - 01/15/2016 05:53 PM

Yes, its a vacation but I need access to a phone for both family and work needs. For 2 weeks time spent between STT and BVI on boat and land. My model of Motorola smart phone (not top of the line) does not accept an add-on plan for global service. Can I purchase a burner in STT that will cover the islands? Like at Radio Shack, maybe? I did this when I worked in St Thomas a few years ago. Didn't save the phone.
Thanks, Deb in ABQ
Posted By: snowdog

Re: Cell phone help - 01/15/2016 08:19 PM

Maybe it is time to replace the phone? Almost any new phone today (other than disposables) are compatible with the global networks. If cost is an issue, I suggest you buy a used phone. It is very easy to buy a great phone that is only 18 months old.

Also, you didn't mention what carrier you use. I use AT&T. I get great service in the USVI for free. I also can get free coverage on the edge of the BVIs: Nanny Cay, Norman, Soper's Hole and Jost because the signal travels well across water from St. John.
Posted By: CaptainJay

Re: Cell phone help - 01/15/2016 08:43 PM

You will want an ATT phone. Go to Wall Mart, Radio Shack or the ATT store in the states and buy one before you come. It will work like traveling to any US state while in the USVI's and while you can see the tower on St John in the BVI's. Turn on ATT's Passport Feature and it will work in the BVI's as well.

https://www.att.com/shop/wireless/international/roaming.html
Posted By: burge

Re: Cell phone help - 01/15/2016 08:49 PM

If you have VZ they have an international plan now for 10 .00 per day ( just on the days you use it) that uses the Data and Voice and txt of the plan you have at home. IT does requires a newer smart phone but if you really need to to use the phone a lot for calls and Data it may be a good choice. Also as a footnote VZ data and TXT in the USVI is like being in the US but Voice they charge by the Minute ( know for recent experience it isn't cheap...

Locally Digi cell has some good prepaid bundle packages for talk text and data. Store is in roadtown,very helpful staff.
Posted By: floet

Re: Cell phone help - 01/16/2016 06:24 AM

Thanks for the help. I'll probably pick up the AT&T like CapJay suggested.
Posted By: msdj69

Re: Cell phone help - 01/16/2016 07:16 PM

You can get an unlocked ATT/TMobile phone and purchase a Lime card online. I have a BVI cell phone. Comes in quite handy.
Posted By: hallucination

Re: Cell phone help - 01/16/2016 07:27 PM

I bought an Alcatel One touch for 70 bucks, loaded with 30 minutes, and 5Gig at the Lime store downtown. Also operates as a hot spot. Use this when we are on the east end, and at other islands.

IF you have ATT, you will be amazed at how good the reception is. If you can see St John/St Thomas, you have connectivity.
Posted By: CaptainJay

Re: Cell phone help - 01/16/2016 08:33 PM

You guys missed the part about splitting time with the USVI. The ATT option under those circumstances is a better deal. ATT covers half of the BVI and all of the USVI. They also have good international roaming options and it can be done and set up before they leave the states. No trip to lime or digicel during precious vacation time.

ATT Passort gold is a flat $120 for 30 days can be turned on and off at will by the month. It includes 800 MB of Data unlimited text and thirty five cent a minute cell phone usage while in the BVI. In sight of a USVI tower it works like you are in the states.

Their silver package is $60 300 MB of data unlimited texts and fifty cents a minute phone calls.
Posted By: jagmansr

Re: Cell phone help - 01/16/2016 10:16 PM

I have AT&T and when we head down to BVI, I sign up for international for 30 days. It automatically stops after 30 days. $30, unlimited text and calls are $1 per minute. No hassle no second phone to deal with.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline