TravelTalkOnline

BVI Customs

Posted By: jmon

BVI Customs - 01/18/2016 07:35 PM

http://bvinews.com/new/customs-rakes-in-over-40k-from-unruly-captains/

In case you're tempted to skip customs while visiting the BVI from USVI or PR, you should read this.
Posted By: GlennA

Re: BVI Customs - 01/18/2016 08:13 PM

In other words, don't tie up at the fuel dock at Sopers Hole and dinghy across to customs.
Posted By: Manpot

Re: BVI Customs - 01/18/2016 08:18 PM

I remember costing Mike Beswick $250 when he sailed "Jeannius" into Apple Bay and anchored in front of CRC. Rather than sail her round to West End I told Mike to jump in Da Ting and I'd drive him over to clear in..BIG MISTAKE. Because the boat was on the other side of the hill they "let" Mike off with a $250 penalty..cost me a few beers! Be warned!
Posted By: YachtReprise

Re: BVI Customs - 01/20/2016 02:45 AM

I was once clearing in at Soper's on a busy day when the guy before me presented himself, just himself, for clearance. No boat, no boat papers. He explained that his friend from St. John 'dropped him off, then took off'.

I truly thought the Immigration guy was going to have a stroke, he was so incredibly angry. He basically said that the guy needed to figure out how to get his friend back to clear in, or he was going to spend time in jail until he did.

His friend came back toute de suite. (I was in Zelma's, but I could still hear the guy gettin' a tongue-lashing from C & I). Thank goodness for cell phones.
Posted By: Twanger

Re: BVI Customs - 01/20/2016 07:35 PM

GlennA said:
In other words, don't tie up at the fuel dock at Sopers Hole and dinghy across to customs.

Really? We have done this. I don't see a problem if you depart immediately for customs after you tie up. I.E. You can't sit there for hours and walk around.
Posted By: GlennA

Re: BVI Customs - 01/20/2016 07:45 PM

Did they know you were at the fuel dock? At a minimum you will get a scolding. In the revenue hungry mood they are in now probably fined. They want the boat "visible" to the customs office.

Re: BVI Customs - 01/20/2016 08:07 PM

Hmmmm... you know, we were actually there to get a generator fixed, and tied up at the end of a T-dock kinda across from customs near the Marina office.
Posted By: StormJib

Re: BVI Customs - 01/20/2016 09:35 PM

In most jurisdictions you are guilty if one of the crew steps off the boat onto the marina dock before you have direct permission from C&I.

"Vessels entering the BVI should proceed directly to a port of entry. Because space at the jetties is limited, vessels are allowed to anchor in the harbour before making their Customs entry. You may not proceed to a marina until you have cleared your yacht unless you are using a Ships Agent. If you arrive after hours, you must raise your yellow flag and no persons may go ashore. You may seek permission in advance from Customs and Immigration for a late arrival by calling one of the ports of entry.
Marina operators should ensure that vessels tied up at their marinas have been duly entered at Customs and Immigration."

Re: BVI Customs - 01/21/2016 06:27 PM

This is good to know!
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline