TravelTalkOnline

Anegada car rental - S&K?

Posted By: CottageGirl

Anegada car rental - S&K? - 01/28/2016 04:43 PM

Has anyone rented a car from S&K rentals on Anegada? I believe they are right next to the small grocery.
We've rented from Dean twice now and seem to get a jalopy in pretty rough shape (although I did notice the upgrade in the linoleum on the floor of the mini van last time). I know, I know. I'm not supposed to care about the car on Anegada. But I'd like to rent something that's in a bit better shape this time - need to seat 6.
Thanks!
Posted By: JlarsBVI

Re: Anegada car rental - S&K? - 01/28/2016 05:29 PM

we just rented from Dean last week and our open seated truck was in much better shape then what we have experienced in the past. The eight of us in the back were not knee to knee this time and plenty of room underneath for our snorkel gear and polar bear cooler. We were pleasantly surprised with the condition of the truck
Posted By: SteveInMD

Re: Anegada car rental - S&K? - 01/28/2016 05:46 PM

I have used S&K. We had a small SUV like thing. It was in good shape and clean. I would use them again.
Posted By: HoosierDaddy

Re: Anegada car rental - S&K? - 01/28/2016 05:54 PM

There are two or three car rentals. I'm sorry I can't tell you which is which. We used the taxi option through Anegada Reef Hotel on Jan 18th. Worked great but we knew where we wanted to go and when we wanted to return.

Re: Anegada car rental - S&K? - 01/28/2016 09:04 PM

Thanks everyone!
While I'd love to just grab a taxi (esp because nobody wants to drive) by the time we taxi to Loblolly, then to Cow Wreck, then back to the dinghy docks, it's waaaaay cheaper to rent a car.
Posted By: NCSailor

Re: Anegada car rental - S&K? - 01/28/2016 10:10 PM

We used S&K in December. 100 yards up from Potters in the purple building. Vehicle was in decent shape for Anegada. We will use them again next time.
Posted By: Chriskal

Re: Anegada car rental - S&K? - 01/29/2016 02:03 AM

Used S & K last Nov. small SUV, maybe Suzuki? Relatively good shape, a/c even worked. Won't hesitate to rent from them next time.
Posted By: TackingAg

Re: Anegada car rental - S&K? - 01/29/2016 10:56 AM

Just used Stephnie at S&K the other day. One day of scooters and another day of the van. Five guys and equipment made it in the mini suv. The guy in the back was a little tight. Nearly hit a cow on the way back from Cow Wreck Beach. Now that would be a story.

Re: Anegada car rental - S&K? - 01/29/2016 03:01 PM

So.....is there any better route from Loblolly to Cow Wreck other than the loooong bumpy dirt road?
Posted By: Riverfrontbrewer

Re: Anegada car rental - S&K? - 01/29/2016 03:19 PM

CottageGirl said:
So.....is there any better route from Loblolly to Cow Wreck other than the loooong bumpy dirt road?

That is the most direct route, but you could always take the paved road all the way back around the island and the last couple of miles are dirt that direction. If there hasn't been huge amounts of rain the bumpy road is easy enough.
Posted By: JasonHelmbrecht

Re: Anegada car rental - S&K? - 01/29/2016 05:09 PM

CottageGirl said:

Taking the paved road back from Loblolly, thru the roundabout, and out to Cow Wreck is faster than the unpaved back road. Most of the time we go that way unless we want to stop at Anegada Beach Club for a drink...

Cheers.
Posted By: DorothyGale

Re: Anegada car rental - S&K? - 01/29/2016 05:45 PM

First visit to Anegada planned for early March. We are two and will be mooring up for two nights. What is the best way to explore the island - car, bike, scooter? We are generally up for anything, so scooter sounds like a interesting option. Maybe car one day scooter the next. Is is possible to do on day or a reservation necessary (I am guessing, yes on this one).

Thanks as always!
Posted By: salica

Re: Anegada car rental - S&K? - 01/29/2016 07:25 PM

I would say this depends on how hot it is, weather wise. There is absolutely no shade whatsoever on Anegada, so scooters could be tough purely for that reason.. No real need to book, I would think. Maybe give the company a ring from North Sound before you set off or night before maybe a good idea. Numbers should be in you cruising guide on board.
Posted By: Twanger

Re: Anegada car rental - S&K? - 01/29/2016 08:10 PM

There's a lot of sand on the roads and two wheels and sand can be a problem, causing you to loose traction and dump the bike.
If you have lots of motorcycle experience, no biggie, but if you don't, suggest you stick to 4 wheels.

Re: Anegada car rental - S&K? - 01/29/2016 08:42 PM

We always rent a car. Those scooters look like a death wish! (at least for me - 50+ yr old) And as others mentioned, there's no shade on Anegada.
Thanks Jason - I'll have to look more closely at the map. We didn't think there was any other way than the dirt road. :-)
Posted By: DorothyGale

Re: Anegada car rental - S&K? - 01/29/2016 10:19 PM

Thanks, a car sounds like a sensible plan then.
Posted By: Jccarr

Re: Anegada car rental - S&K? - 01/30/2016 11:48 AM

We rented a safari truck from dean this week, it was about one year old and in great shape. It was larger than the smallest trucks so everybody had lots of room in the back. It also had good suspension for a better ride on the bumpy road.
Posted By: dreamin42long

Re: Anegada car rental - S&K? - 01/30/2016 02:27 PM

We are renting a jeep from Dean in Mar. Expect it to meet our requirements well. Dean has always been highly recommended on this site.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline