TravelTalkOnline

BVI customs and Immigration backlog in Road Town

Posted By: HoosierDaddy

BVI customs and Immigration backlog in Road Town - 02/04/2016 05:11 PM

Just an awful delay processing Roadtown Fast Ferry on Jan 15. We arrived Roadtown ~4:50 pm and it took over 1-1/2 hours to get to the cab.

This delay was the worst part of our vacation arrival travel.

Is West end C&I usually quicker to get off the ferry and get processed? I'd rather pay the cab fare and enjoy the ride to Road Town than face the frustrations of Road Town C &I delay.

I do wish BVI government would invest in a better Ferry system.
Posted By: tradewinds

Re: BVI customs and Immigration backlog in Road Town - 02/04/2016 05:29 PM

We've always found West End Customs to be faster because there normally aren't as many people getting off there.
Posted By: henryv

Re: BVI customs and Immigration backlog in Road Town - 02/04/2016 05:57 PM

The airport can be just as bad. On our recent arrival from St Martin the C & I process took twice as long as the flight.
Posted By: GeorgeC1

Re: BVI customs and Immigration backlog in Road Town - 02/04/2016 09:09 PM

I had the same issue last Spring. Long line and they took all the locals first. Then they started on the visiters another Ferry showed up and they went back to the new locals. Took over 90 minutes. Not fun!
G
Posted By: tradewinds

Re: BVI customs and Immigration backlog in Road Town - 02/04/2016 09:27 PM

Don't even try it on a Sunday when they're all coming back from shopping on St. Thomas with their mountains of Pampers and toilet paper.
Posted By: salica

Re: BVI customs and Immigration backlog in Road Town - 02/04/2016 09:42 PM

tradewinds said:
Don't even try it on a Sunday when they're all coming back from shopping on St. Thomas with their mountains of Pampers and toilet paper.

There's no decent toilet paper on Tortola. Reminds me of what was available in the sixties in Britain. Ouch!
Posted By: Manpot

Re: BVI customs and Immigration backlog in Road Town - 02/04/2016 09:44 PM

Not sure where you are shopping for your loo paper but we get the same stuff at Riteway ( Harbour Market) that we get in the US..
Posted By: salica

Re: BVI customs and Immigration backlog in Road Town - 02/04/2016 10:00 PM

Not as nice as we have in UK then!
Posted By: NCSailor

Re: BVI customs and Immigration backlog in Road Town - 02/04/2016 11:22 PM

We have been pushed and shoved by rude locals trying to get close to the door of the ferry to be first off and first on line for CI. Last time we formed a human wall to prevent a couple of really aggressive ladies trying to push their way to the front.
Posted By: RonP

Re: BVI customs and Immigration backlog in Road Town - 02/05/2016 12:59 AM

Funny, I've always seen the opposite. The locals are in no great rush because they get their own line anyway and theirs moves faster.
Posted By: lindakay

Re: BVI customs and Immigration backlog in Road Town - 02/05/2016 01:44 AM

salica said:
tradewinds said:

There's no decent toilet paper on Tortola. Reminds me of what was available in the sixties in Britain. Ouch!

Haha! Remember 'Izal'?
Posted By: beerMe

Re: BVI customs and Immigration backlog in Road Town - 02/06/2016 04:34 AM

I remember someone mentioning that the RTFF may get you there faster but the C&I is usually longer because of the large number of people getting off the big boats.

We had a local British lawyer (Barrister?) offer to give us a ride to our base - he seemed to have a little game going with C&I - he'd abuse his form as much as he thought he could get away with and then present it to the official with a straight face. The official looked to the heavens, popped a quick grin and waved him by.
Posted By: calsail

Re: BVI customs and Immigration backlog in Road Town - 02/07/2016 04:59 PM

Best checkin of all is Spanish Town. See you Thursday morning in Spanish Town..
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline