TravelTalkOnline

Dolphins at Seal Dog Islands last week

Posted By: CaptJack7

Dolphins at Seal Dog Islands last week - 03/13/2016 01:39 AM

This comes a little late but just letting everyone know that we spotted 5 dolphins on the South side of the Seal Dogs 4 days ago. They played off our bow for about an hour before we kept heading West. It was an awesome experience and something we had hoped for!
Posted By: maytrix

Re: Dolphins at Seal Dog Islands last week - 03/14/2016 01:25 AM

We've seen then a number of times. Best was in St. Vincent, there was a large pod and they were all playing and jumping. Most surprising was at Norman Island towards the entrance of the Bight on a mooring and we heard a dolphin exhale and then saw him swimming.

Saw two while diving once too, but only for a few seconds as they swam by in the distance.

Glad you got to see them - it's amazing - far more so then going to a place where you can swim with them.
Posted By: SuburbanDharma

Re: Dolphins at Seal Dog Islands last week - 03/14/2016 02:20 PM

Glad to see this, we haven't spotted any dolphins yet this season & have been a little disappointed!
Did briefly spot a whale fluke between JVD & Anegada but she must have been going the other direction!
Posted By: Orange_Burst

Re: Dolphins at Seal Dog Islands last week - 03/14/2016 02:25 PM

Last spring we sailed north of JVD towards the North Drop. We came across of a pod of at least 50 dolphins. They swam with us for a while, they put on quite a show. It was awesome.
Posted By: salica

Re: Dolphins at Seal Dog Islands last week - 03/14/2016 03:11 PM

Colleen, you have made us all very jealous!

I had a dolphin in Little Harbour, Peter early one morning. He started swimming length of the boat about 50 metres off. Turn, swim under water and then come ten metres or so nearer several times until he was right along side the boat. I could see every striation on his body (had to be a male 'cos he was really showing off to me). One more turn and he was gone. So special, memory still with me many years later. Hope you keep your memories special too.
Posted By: Orange_Burst

Re: Dolphins at Seal Dog Islands last week - 03/14/2016 03:16 PM

It is a memory I will always hold dear. Don't have any pictures, we were all too busy just watching.

We have seen dolphins at other places too; sailing to Anegeda, Great Harbor, JVD, Cane Garden Bay, the Dogs, to name a few.
Posted By: TackingAg

Re: Dolphins at Seal Dog Islands last week - 03/16/2016 04:48 PM

We had a dolphin sighting in late January when motoring from Sandy Cay to GH, JVD. S/he didn't stay with us long (too quick to grab the cameras), but it was pretty cool.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline