TravelTalkOnline

Do we need to use AC on monohull?

Posted By: Jul55

Do we need to use AC on monohull? - 03/31/2016 04:59 AM

Five years ago when we sailed our boat didn't have AC. This one does. Do you think we will want it? Thinking it might be so noisy. Hmmm
Posted By: GeorgeC1

Re: Do we need to use AC on monohull? - 03/31/2016 05:17 AM

It depends on when you are going, the weather while you are there and where you choose to anchor. If there is not much wind and rain showers at night I am sure you will use it.
G
Posted By: mattt

Re: Do we need to use AC on monohull? - 03/31/2016 05:54 AM

It's nice when its really hot, but if you've got a breeze, you can also just open the hatches.
Posted By: Jul55

Re: Do we need to use AC on monohull? - 03/31/2016 06:08 AM

Going April10-17
Posted By: NCSailor

Re: Do we need to use AC on monohull? - 03/31/2016 09:48 AM

If you have use it.
Posted By: tradewinds

Re: Do we need to use AC on monohull? - 03/31/2016 11:24 AM

Do you have a generator or just shoreside AC?
Posted By: RickG

Re: Do we need to use AC on monohull? - 03/31/2016 11:47 AM

We have a monohull with AC. We use it in the marina due to mosquitos and heat. At anchor, even in the hottest months with low winds and high humidity, there are hours when we would like to use but never entire nights or days. We spent four weeks on our boat in October/November with rain a couple of times every night, that was occasionally annoying. But, my lady no longer has the hot flashes and I just pop up to the cockpit for a lookaround to cool off quickly.

Cheers, RickG
Posted By: RickinAtlanta

Re: Do we need to use AC on monohull? - 03/31/2016 12:05 PM

Jul55 said:
Five years ago when we sailed our boat didn't have AC. This one does. Do you think we will want it? Thinking it might be so noisy. Hmmm

A/C is already there so you decide if you need/want it while onboard instead of asking others. Everyone's different.
Posted By: capndar

Re: Do we need to use AC on monohull? - 03/31/2016 01:38 PM

I find we use it at night in still anchorages or during a particularly rainy time ( we go in early November) Otherwise the Caribbean breezes seem to do ok.
Posted By: SuburbanDharma

Re: Do we need to use AC on monohull? - 03/31/2016 03:36 PM

If we're onboard, chances are good that the a/c is running, even if it's set somewhere in the upper-70's. I find that everything dries better when you can get the humidity out of the air, too. After about 2 or 3 days of sailing it seems like your towels never quite dry otherwise.
Posted By: JasonHelmbrecht

Re: Do we need to use AC on monohull? - 03/31/2016 03:39 PM

SuburbanDharma said:
If we're onboard, chances are good that the a/c is running, even if it's set somewhere in the upper-70's. I find that everything dries better when you can get the humidity out of the air, too. After about 2 or 3 days of sailing it seems like your towels never quite dry otherwise.

or bathmat.
Posted By: SuburbanDharma

Re: Do we need to use AC on monohull? - 03/31/2016 03:42 PM

HAHAHAHA! Oh, yes, it's imperative to have dry bathmats!

(Although I do carry spares, so they can go into the laundry & get swapped out if they're icky...)
Posted By: Twanger

Re: Do we need to use AC on monohull? - 03/31/2016 04:55 PM

Modern generators are actually pretty quiet... in fact probably a little noisier inside the boat than outside... depends on which cabin and where the generator is.

The AC units themselves are not very loud.

We use Gen/AC for 14 hours a day in the 'summertime' (May-Aug). Cant comment on other times of the year.
Posted By: sail2wind

Re: Do we need to use AC on monohull? - 03/31/2016 05:59 PM

our generator is in the engine room with a noise reducing case. As far as the A/C the only noise is air blowing through the vents.
Posted By: Orange_Burst

Re: Do we need to use AC on monohull? - 03/31/2016 06:48 PM

We like to have the A/C running on the nights we cook on board. It pulls the moisture out of the boat and dries the cabins out. Unless it is really hot or rainy, we shut it down before we go to bed.
Posted By: mattt

Re: Do we need to use AC on monohull? - 03/31/2016 06:52 PM

I got a respiratory infection from boat AC once.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline