TravelTalkOnline

Connecting in SJU w/ Multiple Tickets

Posted By: SeanS

Connecting in SJU w/ Multiple Tickets - 05/17/2016 04:47 AM

For our upcoming trip, I can get by far the best deal on miles flights if I book DEN-SJU round trip with Delta miles and then separately book (on a separate itinerary) roundtrip SJU-EIS on Cape Air.

I assume though, if my Delta flight is delayed on the way down and I miss my Cape Air connection in SJU, I'll forfeit the ticket if they are on separate itineraries? Same going the other direction if my Cape Air flight is delayed and I miss my Delta connection?

Also, what would folks consider to be acceptable connection time between Delta and Cape Air both to and from the BVI?

If we did this, the plan would be to do carry on only.

Thanks.

Sean
Posted By: TRVLMOMHHI

Re: Connecting in SJU w/ Multiple Tickets - 05/17/2016 10:39 AM

We are doing the same thing for our flight to EIS. We are overnighting in SJU (and on the first flight from Savannah to SJU) just to be safe.
Posted By: texsun64

Re: Connecting in SJU w/ Multiple Tickets - 05/17/2016 11:53 AM

We also used AA miles and overnighted in San Juan. First flight out next morning on Cape Air. Coming home took 8:00 flight to SJU for a 12:00flight. Our flight out of EIS was delayed one hour so glad we planned on the earlier flight out. We always do carry on.
Posted By: Kirk

Re: Connecting in SJU w/ Multiple Tickets - 05/17/2016 12:07 PM

Being a slightly nervous traveler,I gave ourselves plenty of time between flights. Cape Air put us on earlier flights both directions last trip as we were there in plenty of time....
Posted By: maytrix

Re: Connecting in SJU w/ Multiple Tickets - 05/17/2016 12:13 PM

We've done this every time our last 10 trips probably. We often have about 2 hours between flights and that's always been enough. If our flight was delayed, I'd simply call cape air and let them know and adjust the flight. I don't think this would be an issue. Only problem would be if you didn't know about the delay until you were in the air, although that would probably be an unusual case.
Posted By: Cleobeach

Re: Connecting in SJU w/ Multiple Tickets - 05/17/2016 03:31 PM

We always fly thru SJU for our BVI and USVI trips, once or twice a year.

maytrix said:
We've done this every time our last 10 trips probably. We often have about 2 hours between flights and that's always been enough. If our flight was delayed, I'd simply call cape air and let them know and adjust the flight. I don't think this would be an issue. Only problem would be if you didn't know about the delay until you were in the air, although that would probably be an unusual case.

It might be if one purchases a restricted (as in cheapest) ticket. Cape Air could charge a change fee to put you on another Cape Air flight. Also, even if they would switch your flights, if all the other flights were full, you might be on stand-by for a long time.
Posted By: ski2play

Re: Connecting in SJU w/ Multiple Tickets - 05/17/2016 04:16 PM

We do this when we have points to utilize and must go through SJU (read this with my grumpy face as I do not like to do it this way). We always allow a few hours between flights and have never (fingers crossed) had an issue.
Posted By: maytrix

Re: Connecting in SJU w/ Multiple Tickets - 05/17/2016 04:43 PM

Cleobeach said:
It might be if one purchases a restricted (as in cheapest) ticket. Cape Air could charge a change fee to put you on another Cape Air flight. Also, even if they would switch your flights, if all the other flights were full, you might be on stand-by for a long time.

We always use the commuter book and have found Cape Air to be excellent and making adjustments. They could charge a fee, but I'm not sure they would.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline