TravelTalkOnline

Deep Bay, Oil Nut

Posted By: danmasi

Deep Bay, Oil Nut - 07/19/2016 08:29 PM

Wow... didn't realize that Eustatia Sound now has a marked channel from Saba Rock to the east side... and the development at Oil Nut Bay!

With this channel in place, is Deep Bay a usable overnight anchorage? Wheels up in 7 days!
Posted By: GeorgeC1

Re: Deep Bay, Oil Nut - 07/19/2016 09:28 PM

Check with your charter company. Most redline it.
G
Posted By: MrEZgoin

Re: Deep Bay, Oil Nut - 07/19/2016 10:04 PM

I've dinghied and paddleboarded the channel and it looks pretty shallow near the beginning (Saba). I've seen large cats go through (and barges and ferries), but they may all be using some local knowledge in addition to the channel markers.
Posted By: warren460

Re: Deep Bay, Oil Nut - 07/19/2016 10:51 PM

I have seen some mono hulls go through only to go aground. It's shallow in that area. So check with the charter company.
Posted By: Will_L

Re: Deep Bay, Oil Nut - 07/19/2016 10:54 PM

One does also have to keep an eye out for those learning to kite board ..while enjoying a beverage a couple weeks ago behind Saba we watched a novice come very close to a boat going thru the channel. The instructors in the dinghy were close by, but still was close.
Posted By: YachtReprise

Re: Deep Bay, Oil Nut - 07/20/2016 01:59 AM

There's plenty of water for a 6 foot draft. Stay in the center as you pass Saba (to port) and then you're home free. Stay in the channel, and do not drift to port. Deep Bay can be still, but it's a great secluded anchorage. With Biras shut down, the beach should be a fun visit.

Pirates famously lured the British Navy through what appeared to be an impossible route past Saba and out of the Sound - using the 'S' path between Eustatia and Prickly Pear. I wouldn't recommend it on a bareboat.

But anywho...you're good to go all the way to Deep Bay.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline