TravelTalkOnline

Jost to Anegada

Posted By: CaptainGutt

Jost to Anegada - 07/19/2016 09:50 PM

Will be on a 7 day charter with a Moorings 514PC. Previous charter was a counter-clockwise circuit starting at Norman and finishing at Jost prior to the last day run back to Road Town. For various reasons, this time we would like to spend the last couple to three days around Norman/Peter/Cooper islands. We would also like to include Anegada this trip, which we didn't last time. Is the trip from Jost to Anegada a tough slog, given we will be in a PC? Just don't hear much about this leg going in that direction. Thanks for all the replies to my last few posts.
Posted By: JasonHelmbrecht

Re: Jost to Anegada - 07/19/2016 10:04 PM

In a PC you'll be able to head directly to Anegada instead of tacking. It's about 32 miles so depending on your vessel and how much fuel you are interested in burning, it should be about 2.5 hours.

Re: Jost to Anegada - 07/19/2016 10:16 PM

I guess what I am really trying to find out is if the leg from Jost to Anegada is rougher due to prevailing winds/seas than the leg from North Sound to Anegada. Or is it a wash? A few of my passengers are less than 'seafaring scabs'.
Posted By: captmoby

Re: Jost to Anegada - 07/19/2016 10:21 PM

Totally weather/sea state dependent. And that changes daily. Could be a great soothe trip but could be a disaster. Have a plan B.
Posted By: GeorgeC1

Re: Jost to Anegada - 07/19/2016 10:22 PM

It will be rougher. It really depends on the weather. If the winds are under 12 knots it's a non issue. Typically the wind driven chop is out of the east. You will be more into the chop and it has a longer fetch to build. The 514 will handle it quite well however.
G
Posted By: warren460

Re: Jost to Anegada - 07/19/2016 10:53 PM

What time of year are you going?
Posted By: burge

Re: Jost to Anegada - 07/19/2016 10:58 PM

follow the lee side of tortola up to scrub, cut over to VG lee side if needed and then shoot to anegada. In a PC is is very easy as you can make time quickly and enjoy the scenery too.

Re: Jost to Anegada - 07/19/2016 11:02 PM

We will be in the BVI Aug 1 - Aug 11. Three days landbased.
Posted By: HtownHondo

Re: Jost to Anegada - 07/19/2016 11:13 PM

My crew and I have done this multiple ways. Plow directly from JVD to Anegada or, follow the lee side of Tortola and cut between Guana and Great Camanoe Islands with mixed results. It's really all about the weather and the prevailing swells and wind chop.

A power cat certainly handles either route quite well, it's a matter of how the crew handles it should there be larger swells. We've also been blessed with a trip that was as smooth as an inland lake.
Posted By: Will_L

Re: Jost to Anegada - 07/20/2016 12:50 AM

It can be "rowdy" depending on sea conditions. If is the case..hug the shore of Tortola and Virgin Gorda as much as possible. Your crew will thank you.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline