TravelTalkOnline

Charter company restrictions?

Posted By: BoatDrinks2

Charter company restrictions? - 08/23/2016 02:42 PM

I've read some past posts that mentioned some charter companies prohibit you from taking a vessel to Anegada or White Bay, JVD. Has anyone had experience with this? We've chartered with Sunsail, Moorings and TMM and never been told this. Just curious..
Posted By: GeorgeC1

Re: Charter company restrictions? - 08/23/2016 05:02 PM

The Moorings and Sunsail have a planning chart with the red zones marked. Each company has slightly different rules. With GPS on every boat Anegada is less and less of a issue. White bay on the other hand is becoming more and more of a issue with charter companies. I would not be surprised to see overnights there banned by all companies at some point in the future.
Regardless of the legalities White Bay is only a safe overnight with a perfect weather forecast. That happens maybe 10% of the time.
G
Posted By: RJC86

Re: Charter company restrictions? - 08/23/2016 07:56 PM

Sounds correct about White Bay. Anegada is case by case in my experience.
Posted By: Twanger

Re: Charter company restrictions? - 08/23/2016 08:34 PM

Most charter company have select bays "red-lined."
Anegada is one of the toss-up cases - if you've been there before, they'll probably let you go.
Posted By: Kryssa

Re: Charter company restrictions? - 08/23/2016 09:19 PM

I asked Horizon about Anegada because we are chartering the same week as friends this year and I know they will want to head out there on their Moorings boat. Horizon said that if you tell them at the chart briefing you are planning for Anegada, they will give you some additional information, but they wouldn't rule it out if you are otherwise qualified to charter.
Posted By: tradewinds

Re: Charter company restrictions? - 08/23/2016 09:31 PM

Twanger said:
Anegada is one of the toss-up cases - if you've been there before, they'll probably let you go.

You can go, but they make you sign a waiver that if something happens, they won't send a chase boat out to help you.
Posted By: capndar

Re: Charter company restrictions? - 08/24/2016 01:28 PM

I know for CYOA we need a special permission/waiver for Anegada. Never been denied it, I am guessing we just needed to show a higher level of seamanship/navigation. And accept limited support in event of a breakdown.
Posted By: Twanger

Re: Charter company restrictions? - 08/24/2016 03:55 PM

tradewinds said:
Twanger said:

You can go, but they make you sign a waiver that if something happens, they won't send a chase boat out to help you.

This is how CYOA works it.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline