TravelTalkOnline

Karl

Posted By: dts0099

Karl - 09/18/2016 05:13 PM

I'm from the Midwest so we have never paid much attention to hurricanes. Supposed to start our charter Tuesday the 20th should I be worried about tropical storm Karl that is predicted to pass just north of BVI?!
Posted By: warren460

Re: Karl - 09/18/2016 05:42 PM

You should certainly pay close attention to the forecast so you don't get caught in a dangerous situation. I hope that the charter briefing has some words of advise too.
Posted By: StormJib

Re: Karl - 09/18/2016 06:08 PM

If there is any worry all the anchorages will be filled with chase boats from the various operators telling the charter boats where they must go. Named storms are one thing that will be proactively and directly communicated to you. If this forecast holds the issue this week will likely be no wind or light and variable winds.

Here is the wind forecast for Thursday. Swell looks like a non issue for the next week.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: GlennA

Re: Karl - 09/18/2016 07:07 PM

All the projections have Karl passing well to the north of the leewards. Might produce a bit of north swell late in the week.
Posted By: dts0099

Re: Karl - 09/18/2016 07:20 PM

Are the forecasts fairly accurate? Are they known to change paths?
Posted By: GlennA

Re: Karl - 09/18/2016 07:27 PM

Not likely in this case as virtually all the steering factors are pushing everything north of the ITCZ northwards right now. In any case you will have plenty of warning should anythuing change.
Posted By: capndar

Re: Karl - 09/19/2016 06:11 PM

I'd be far more concerned if I had a Bermuda vacation scheduled!
Posted By: Manpot

Re: Re: Karl - 09/19/2016 06:27 PM

I'm more concerned about that red cross behind it..I'm flying back to CRC Sunday night..
Posted By: capndar

Re: Re: Karl - 09/19/2016 06:48 PM

Yes that looks questionable!
Posted By: StormJib

Re: Re: Karl - 09/19/2016 07:08 PM

The long term models show a near endless stream of those "Red X's" or Monsoon Troughs coming of the continent of Africa. There are two more waiting their turn to exit Africa now on the weather maps. The long term models going out more than 10 days have them all steering north of the Caribbean or dissipating mid Atlantic for at least the next two weeks. That does not preclude a storm forming on top of or nearby the BVI.
Posted By: LocalSailor

Re: Re: Karl - 09/19/2016 09:23 PM

This is the projected track of that 'red cross' behind Karl -- not too much of a concern at present

http://www.sfwmd.gov/sfwmd/common/images/weather/plots/storm_96
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline