TravelTalkOnline

Sunsail "7 Nights"

Posted By: wofat

Sunsail "7 Nights" - 10/03/2016 11:15 PM

So, in calling Sunsail about the opportunity to do a sleepaboard on the first night, they let me know that it is standard and is included as one of your 7 nights. This seems crappy as I had thought (as many here have stated) that it would be 50% of a day rate just to add it. Does anyone know if Moorings is different? Any other suggestions? I'm contemplating making it an 8 night charter to not miss out on some of our plans. Perhaps 7 would be enough, but it just rubs me wrong and I am sure it will still be 2 to 3 PM by the time we're able to roll out the next day after getting checked out. Grr....
Posted By: warren460

Re: Sunsail "7 Nights" - 10/04/2016 01:32 AM

IF YOU are not committed to Sun sail, try tmm or cyoa
Posted By: maytrix

Re: Sunsail "7 Nights" - 10/04/2016 01:33 AM

Moorings is different. You start at noon. If you add a sleep aboard, it is discounted off the daily rate.

I think what you'll find in comparing the two though is that the price factors in the evening start with Sunsail.
Posted By: NCSailor

Re: Sunsail "7 Nights" - 10/04/2016 01:43 AM

Moorings charges 2/3 of the daily rate for the sleep aboard. When we do a Moorings sleep aboard we have no problem getting off the dock by 10am the next morning.
Posted By: GeorgeC1

Re: Sunsail "7 Nights" - 10/04/2016 02:10 PM

Correct, Sunsail prices all charters with a evening start. The Moorings prices charters with a noon start and you add the sleepaboard night if you want it. Sunsail has been that way since long before the Moorings purchased them. Why I don't know. It is reflected in the pricing. A 7 night charter with Sunsail is a sleepaboard with 6 nights out on the water.
Keep in mind that pricing is negotiable. A sleepaboard is sometimes a item you can get discounted or free.
G
Posted By: denverd0n

Re: Sunsail "7 Nights" - 10/04/2016 02:58 PM

wofat said:
...I am sure it will still be 2 to 3 PM by the time we're able to roll out the next day after getting checked out.

I can't imagine why. I think the latest we have ever gotten off, when we have chartered with Sunsail, was about noon. Usually more like 10-11am.

The "night before" thing allows you--assuming you get their early enough--to get checked out on the boat systems that afternoon/evening, and also to finish up your provisioning that evening. That way, the next morning, all you have to do is attend the mandatory chart review, and then head out.
Posted By: maytrix

Re: Sunsail "7 Nights" - 10/04/2016 05:54 PM

Yeah, with a sleep aboard, you will get out well before 2-3pm. When we've done a sleep aboard, we've been off the dock by 10 or 11 at the latest.

With a noon start, you'd be look at 2-3pm at the earliest.
Posted By: fstorms

Re: Sunsail "7 Nights" - 10/06/2016 11:59 PM

We always have asked for the earliest possible boat briefing, and with final provisioning tasks/shore showers, we have been off by 10-1030am. That's been our experience with Sunsail three-out-of-three times.
Posted By: wofat

Re: Sunsail "7 Nights" - 10/08/2016 08:07 PM

Looks like it won't be an issue after all, though thank you all for the feedback. Looks like we'll be sailing S/V Orion. Thanks for contacting me Captain Mark!
Posted By: CottageGirl

Re: Sunsail "7 Nights" - 10/10/2016 04:15 PM

Wofat - you will LOVE Orion! And the folks at TMM :-)
Mark is great to work with as well - good choice!
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline