TravelTalkOnline

International Phone

Posted By: stevelon

International Phone - 01/23/2017 07:57 PM

If you are close to ending your phone contract check out Google Fi. Not really advertised yet but looks really good. Also works in the BVI. Interesting concept. All the Best Steve

Re: International Phone - 01/23/2017 08:11 PM

Here is the link https://fi.google.com/about/
Posted By: CottageGirl

Re: International Phone - 01/24/2017 03:13 PM

My son-in-law is considering this phone/plan.
Posted By: RickG

Re: International Phone - 01/24/2017 03:20 PM

I've been watching Google Fi closely. We had a friend on our boat two weeks ago with a Nexus 5 on Google Fi. There were times when we had great AT&T coverage (not a Google Fi partner) and he had no coverage. He actually had better service near Tortola than he did on the south side of St. John with only AT&T. Sprint has coverage on St. Thomas and most of the north shore of St. John. He was able to use my AT&T mifi for calls and data.

I have pinged folks on the Grenada Cruisers facebook group and there are a few people that are using Fi. T-Mobile global roaming is much more prevalent; it includes 2G data for international roaming, but islands islands no longer have 2G support and people are seeing 3G and LTE speeds with free data roaming.

Fi still only supports the Google devices. The Pixel is a nice Android phone.

I'm watching this, but AT&T is still a good option for us.

Cheers, RickG

Re: International Phone - 01/24/2017 07:51 PM

Thanks for the heads up. Sounded good so I was reluctant to change from att. Think I will stay where I am.
Posted By: kneafseym

Re: International Phone - 01/25/2017 01:20 AM

tmobile has been great for our international travels. Coverage in St Thomas isn't good, but great in BVI if you force you phone to digicell and not let it get the poor tmo signal in STT.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline