TravelTalkOnline

Mountain pt/ Long bay

Posted By: wanderingfarr

Mountain pt/ Long bay - 01/29/2017 03:00 PM

Any imput on long bay overnight anchorage assuming no north swell?
Posted By: warren460

Re: Mountain pt/ Long bay - 01/29/2017 03:59 PM

The anchorage is over sand with good holding. I stay there often. Some swell should not be an issue. Sometimes the wind can be very gusty. Very good snorkelling off the back of the boat all the way to the dive site. No amenities on shore. I think that the beach is rocky
Posted By: wanderingfarr

Re: Mountain pt/ Long bay - 01/29/2017 08:04 PM

Thank you
Posted By: warren460

Re: Mountain pt/ Long bay - 01/29/2017 08:52 PM

What time of year are you going?
Posted By: fstorms

Re: Mountain pt/ Long bay - 01/30/2017 12:42 PM

I love it. When you get the boat right over that large sandy area, it feels like your anchored in a giant swimming pool.
Posted By: GeorgeC1

Re: Mountain pt/ Long bay - 01/30/2017 01:42 PM

Keep in mind that if you get a late night thunderstorm it can be a ugly place to be. Make sure of your weather forecast.
G
Posted By: Deepcut

Re: Mountain pt/ Long bay - 01/31/2017 02:45 AM

GeorgeC1
What makes the thunderstorm so bad at this location if the weather is coming from the East?
Sounds like you may have been there for a storm?

Re: Mountain pt/ Long bay - 01/31/2017 03:19 AM

With a violent thunderstorm you will get wind from multiple directions as it moves through. The prevailing wind is not a indication of direction of the winds you get out of a Tstorm. I have been at Cooper in dead calm conditions and 5 minutes later had 5 foot waves breaking on the beach. Same in White Bay. The mountain point area is completely exposed for at least 180 degrees with a long fetch.
G
Posted By: BaardJ

Re: Mountain pt/ Long bay - 01/31/2017 03:51 AM

George - We experienced this exact phenomenon in early November while moored at Kelly's Cove, Norman Island. Had a typical quiet sunset tucked in behind the point. From midnight to near dawn severe t-storms very slowly moved through. Wind shifted 180 and we were suddenly on a very, very close lee shore with 4+ foot swells coming in across the fetch from Ram Head, St John. All the skippers in the cove were on deck with flashlights throughout the night until dawn came and it just as quickly settled down.

Re: Mountain pt/ Long bay - 01/31/2017 01:15 PM

Been there and done that. It makes for a very long night!
G
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline