TravelTalkOnline

st thomas bay

Posted By: gudiss

st thomas bay - 02/18/2017 05:06 PM

hello everyone
i am interested in anchoring overnight in the southern end of St Thomas bay between the reef and shoreline. hopefully eat at coco maya that night and jump in a cab early morning for the baths. is this a realistic place to set the hook? what is best path if any to slip into this area? we will be on a 40' cat with a 4' draft. zooming in on google i can see a 40'+ cat in that area?? what is best route into that space?? thanks!
Posted By: Will_L

Re: st thomas bay - 02/18/2017 06:32 PM

There appears to be a path thru reef down by the dock at Mermaids bar and grill. If a charter, I'd bet the area is redlined. Probably best to pick up a mooring just outside Yacht harbor (rolly in a swell) and dinghy into VGYH and walk or taxi up to cocomayas..or simpler still take a slip in VGYH.
Posted By: GeorgeC1

Re: st thomas bay - 02/18/2017 08:18 PM

Take a look at the breakwater orientation for VGYH. That should tell you all you need to know about anchoring overnight. If you do go in there I would make sure you have someone competent on board all the time. You could call ahead and spend the night on a slip there.
G
Posted By: kneafseym

Re: st thomas bay - 02/18/2017 09:22 PM

We used to overnight there all the time in the Summer. Awesome holding and you don't get the wakes from the ferries that you get out in the mooring field.
Posted By: gudiss

Re: st thomas bay - 02/19/2017 05:33 PM

thanks mike! whats the best path to enter?
Posted By: kneafseym

Re: st thomas bay - 02/19/2017 06:21 PM

I would use the crudely marked channel. Keep in mind that I was a skipper with a lot of local knowledge. The markers are often not there.
Posted By: sail2wind

Re: st thomas bay - 02/19/2017 06:55 PM

gudiss said:
thanks mike! whats the best path to enter?

unless you own the boat, i would not do it. Mike's skill set is way above most charterers.
Posted By: tradewinds

Re: st thomas bay - 02/19/2017 06:59 PM

I haven't seen markers there for quite some time.
Posted By: Will_L

Re: st thomas bay - 02/19/2017 09:09 PM

Mike goes where others fear to tread...or where someone will buy drinks. smile he's spent so much time down here he would be a belonger...well except for ....but only rumors you understand. smile.
Seriously, I wouldn't try it on first charter and would check with charter co. Things change so fast this time of year. Leaving VGYH this morning people could surf if were of a mind to. Pretty good swell all the way to Jost..Would have been nasty with a stiff wind. Bubbly pool bubbling.. After lunch at Taboo..coming home seas were increasingly light and just a riffle over reef at VGYH coming in.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline