TravelTalkOnline

Provisioning: BVI versus USVIs???

Posted By: bviicatter

Provisioning: BVI versus USVIs??? - 04/19/2017 08:12 PM

Hi All, greetings from Annapolis, Md....

Anyone make a suggestion regarding provisioning? I am bareboating L450 out of Dream Yachts (yeah, I know, I read the posts) June 10 to 20 2017.

Can anyone comment on whether it is better (quality and cost) to provision in USVIs, say Cruz Bay or Red Hook, versus Riteway in Tortolla?

Thanks!

JAM
Posted By: CDavis2

Re: Provisioning: BVI versus USVIs??? - 04/19/2017 09:08 PM

We have done both options on several occasions. The USVI is significantly lower in cost especially if you hit Cost U Less. Quality is comparable. We only provision in the USVI when we are having the boat delivered to St. Thomas. I would never consider the hassle of taking the provisions from St. Thomas to Tortola on a ferry given the headache and likelihood of being assessed the import duty.
Posted By: CaptainJay

Re: Provisioning: BVI versus USVIs??? - 04/20/2017 01:10 AM

bviicatter said:
Hi All, greetings from Annapolis, Md....

Anyone make a suggestion regarding provisioning? I am bareboating L450 out of Dream Yachts (yeah, I know, I read the posts) June 10 to 20 2017.

Can anyone comment on whether it is better (quality and cost) to provision in USVIs, say Cruz Bay or Red Hook, versus Riteway in Tortolla?

Thanks!

JAM

Yes we generally have better and less expensive provisioning options in the USVI. Having said that I would not wast the vacation time to bring a BVI based boat back to St Thomas to provision. The couple hundred dollars you would likely save will waste more vacation time than that.

Next time rent the boat in St Thomas and provision in St Thomas. Don't ride the ferry or pay for Beef Island flights. Then spend some quality time around St John and the BVI's with your less expensive provisions and flights.
:-)

Jay
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline