TravelTalkOnline

Mooring Ball Etiquette

Posted By: sail2wind

Mooring Ball Etiquette - 05/25/2017 11:57 PM

This is copied and pasted for the charter boat and cruisers forum, thought I'd share.

I just returned from BVI and I noticed a sharp increase in the number of people taking mooring balls with their dinghies to reserve them for their friends.

The worst example was at Cooper Island. My girlfriend and I were lounging on the beach when a small cat came in for the last mooring ball. As it approached, a guy on the dock jumped in his dinghy and raced over on plane. He snatched the pennant when the older lady was 2 feet from picking it up! I got up from my lounger to help, but while my girlfriend and I discussed the merits of me assaulting someone in a foreign country, the older couple relented and left. Even my girlfriend said if it happened to her, she would have whacked him in the head with the boat-hook. If it had been a group of guys, I'm sure this would have become a brawl. I hope this is not the norm, rude.

Mooring balls are for yachts, not dinghies.
Posted By: TIMRIM

Re: Mooring Ball Etiquette - 05/26/2017 12:08 AM

That guy was A Whole
Posted By: bviboater

Re: Mooring Ball Etiquette - 05/26/2017 12:16 AM

Mooring balls are for yachts, not dinghies.

Agreed totally, but it has been discussed here many many times and its seems that quite a few people on TTOL think its ok to 'save' a mooring for later use with their dinghy. But I digress best to stick with Mark Twain's quote...

“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.”
Posted By: TIMRIM

Re: Mooring Ball Etiquette - 05/26/2017 12:21 AM

Can't fix stupid
Posted By: maytrix

Re: Mooring Ball Etiquette - 05/26/2017 12:33 AM

Saving a mooring ball you've already paid for with a dinghy is very different from seeing a boat coming in and rushing to grab it with a dinghy.. Only way I could see this being ok is if the dinghy was in paying for that ball.

Personally, I'd never save a mooring myself - get there or let someone else have it.
Posted By: LocalSailor

Re: Mooring Ball Etiquette - 05/26/2017 01:45 AM

I just pick up the mooring - tie the offending dinghy off the stern and pay my mooring fee - and make no bones about it.

Mooring etiquette has gone the way of anchoring etiquette as the sailing knowledge of the rental boat Captains has approached Zero in many cases.
Posted By: steve74

Re: Mooring Ball Etiquette - 05/26/2017 03:12 AM

Last year - our first year bareboating - we raced a sailing cat into Cooper for the last ball. We were in a power cat. We beat them, but I came in hot and one of the motors shut off as my wife was trying to grab the ball. She tried to hold on to the boat hook, but of course it was ripped from her hands. She was upset and we rolled all night on the worst ball in the place given the wind. The guy we beat for the ball wasn't even close, but knowing what I know now, we got what we deserved. There are too many amazing places down there to be a selfish a-hole. I was one that day and it will not happen again!
Posted By: Mandknky

Re: Mooring Ball Etiquette - 05/26/2017 04:20 AM

More than once we have had other boats actually pass us up as we are heading directly to a mooring ball when maybe only 300 feet or so out.... What's funny is when they do that, then you get another mooring, then later that evening you end up seated right at the next table during dinner that night. I personally would be embarrassed to pass someone up to grab a mooring that they obviously intend to pick up.... What ever happened to having a little consideration for other people? Life's better when you can chill out a little --- and drop an anchor when necessary.
Posted By: steve74

Re: Mooring Ball Etiquette - 05/26/2017 09:59 AM

In our situation, it could be argued that both boats showed intent for the ball about the same time. However, I certainly didn't disadvantage myself for the betterment of another person. I grew up in eastern NC and some of my southern racing roots came out. Anyway, I felt bad about it, we suffered for it, and we learned our lesson.
Posted By: Freedom21

Re: Mooring Ball Etiquette - 05/26/2017 10:14 AM

What is the etiquette for mooring if you have paid for two nights but want to go for a sail during the day?
Posted By: NCSailor

Re: Mooring Ball Etiquette - 05/26/2017 11:18 AM

maytrix said:
Saving a mooring ball you've already paid for with a dinghy is very different from seeing a boat coming in and rushing to grab it with a dinghy.. Only way I could see this being ok is if the dinghy was in paying for that ball.

I agree with this. If I pay for a mooring and want to use it for a paddle board that is my choice. Cutting in front of someone that has demonstrated intent to pickup a ball is bad form.

Re: Mooring Ball Etiquette - 05/26/2017 12:32 PM

Freedom21 said:
What is the etiquette for mooring if you have paid for two nights but want to go for a sail during the day?

I think this is where it would be fine to leave a dinghy to mark it - maybe with a visible note that says already paid for.

I've never paid for two nights at once though and we've even stayed 3 nights in one place before - I just think its better to pay each night in case plans change. Say you go for a day sail and decide to stay elsewhere.. etc.
Posted By: denverd0n

Re: Mooring Ball Etiquette - 05/26/2017 12:41 PM

maytrix said:
Saving a mooring ball you've already paid for with a dinghy is very different from seeing a boat coming in and rushing to grab it with a dinghy...

THIS ^^^^^

The difference between these two scenarios is HUUUUUGE!
Posted By: sail2wind

Re: Mooring Ball Etiquette - 05/26/2017 03:28 PM

I have never paid for 2 nights in advance.
Posted By: MrEZgoin

Re: Mooring Ball Etiquette - 05/27/2017 01:04 AM

sail2wind said:
I have never paid for 2 nights in advance.

Only on Mustique.
Posted By: jmon

Re: Mooring Ball Etiquette - 05/27/2017 10:00 AM

Lets see...what did we do in the 80's before mooring balls???? Oh yeah, we anchored!!
Posted By: Deepcut

Re: Mooring Ball Etiquette - 05/28/2017 02:03 AM

Tonight! Arrived inAnchorage off the Caves and a boat was ANCHORED in between 3 balls. Even after fee collected, he remained anchored.... I don't understand reason, but cat coming in just before sundown is definitely at risk from swing....
Posted By: UncleLuff

Re: Mooring Ball Etiquette - 05/30/2017 07:14 PM

Okay... here's a scenario. Two families travelling on two cats. Wake up early motor to White bay to get two mooring balls. both pay for the mooring balls until the next day. One Cat leaves dinghy behind to do some sailing while the other Cat and some crew stay behind to relax and enjoy the beach.

Acceptable mooring etiquette?

Thanks!
Posted By: Kirk

Re: Mooring Ball Etiquette - 05/30/2017 07:29 PM

We've paid for two nights at Cooper and tied the dinghy off to the ball to go diving nearby during the day-per instructions from the staff at Cooper.
Posted By: rfrimmel

Re: Mooring Ball Etiquette - 05/30/2017 07:57 PM

Agree. If you can't find a ball, use the hook and save the mooring fee for some drinks on land.
Posted By: LocalSailor

Re: Mooring Ball Etiquette - 05/31/2017 03:38 AM

UncleLuff said:
Okay... here's a scenario. Two families travelling on two cats. Wake up early motor to White bay to get two mooring balls. both pay for the mooring balls until the next day. One Cat leaves dinghy behind to do some sailing while the other Cat and some crew stay behind to relax and enjoy the beach.

Acceptable mooring etiquette?

Thanks!

A paid for mooring with a dinghy on it is a different scenario then "saving" a mooring for your friends.

Re: Mooring Ball Etiquette - 05/31/2017 03:47 AM

At the end of the day, it still doesn't mean someone won't take the ball not understanding the situation. But I think you'd be in the right doing that.. Personally, I wouldn't do it myself.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline