TravelTalkOnline

Dengue and Chikungunya?

Posted By: Nemos

Dengue and Chikungunya? - 06/07/2017 02:43 AM

Would appreciate an update on the nature of the current Dengue and Chikungunya threats. After too long an absence, we'd like to return to Virgin Gorda next year. However, my health is now rather frail and I'd like to avoid any major D/C threats. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
Posted By: warren460

Re: Dengue and Chikungunya? - 06/07/2017 03:14 AM

Why not see a travel doctor for further guidance?
Posted By: Manpot

Re: Dengue and Chikungunya? - 06/07/2017 12:00 PM

Both seems to have died away down here..have not hear of anyone suffering recently. There have been some heavy rains that stir up the mozzie population though. Its always good to be careful but I would not delay a trip for it..use a good bug spray!

Re: Dengue and Chikungunya? - 06/07/2017 05:03 PM

Thanks for your suggestion, Warren, but I've never heard of a "travel doctor" around here. Even if I could find one here in Maine, I doubt they would know as much about the D/C status as a BVI belonger or a frequent visitor there would know.

Re: Dengue and Chikungunya? - 06/07/2017 05:05 PM

Thanks, Malcolm, for the very helpful info on the recent status of the D/C problem!
Posted By: gordaguy2

Re: Dengue and Chikungunya? - 06/07/2017 09:07 PM

We always say - spray often and thoroughly - if you can do January its a much better time for virtually no bugs.

Re: Dengue and Chikungunya? - 06/08/2017 12:39 AM

Thanks, Brian, but we're locked into April as our only possible time. Will spraying repellent over sunscreen be OK?
Posted By: HillsideView

Re: Dengue and Chikungunya? - 06/08/2017 02:11 AM

https://www.walmart.com/ip/BullFrog-Mosq...een&veh=sem

Re: Dengue and Chikungunya? - 06/08/2017 04:30 PM

Thanks, HillsideView. A bit pricey but otherwise sounds like a great solution! Had not seen this before.
Posted By: StormJib

Re: Dengue and Chikungunya? - 06/08/2017 05:19 PM

Maine like every state has many good epidemiologists. But, in the cases of well traveled places the CDC will give the traveler all the free advice they need. In simple terms carry a lot of DEET and know when and how to use it. Beware of any gimmick trying to take your money and your health for their profit. When in the tropics use DEET before you get there and 24/7 until you leave. Always add more when going ashore or getting out of the shower or water. DEET always goes on top of the sunscreen. When you add sunscreen add another layer of DEET.

https://www.cdc.gov/zika/prevention/prevent-mosquito-bites.html

Re: Dengue and Chikungunya? - 06/09/2017 01:58 PM

I was down on VG for two weeks in April - no bugs whatsoever - even on the beach at Mahoe and in Soper's Hole on Tortola - it only rained once during that time but that was early in the stay. There was a lot of rain for a couple of days in May so the mosquitoes may have come out since then. Adagio is back from the beach about 100 yards and up about 30 feet so we get a lot more breeze so it may depend on where you are staying.
Posted By: GeorgeC1

Re: Dengue and Chikungunya? - 06/09/2017 02:09 PM

I was flown in both Apr and May boat based. I don't think we saw a Mosquito!
G
Posted By: Manpot

Re: Dengue and Chikungunya? - 06/09/2017 02:26 PM

Some of the worst, biggest mozzies I have ever seen....were back in Sonoma this spring following the rains of Biblical proportions we had in Northern California this winter.Been back at CRC for over a week now and I don't think I've had one bite..
Posted By: sail445

Re: Dengue and Chikungunya? - 06/09/2017 07:05 PM

The Caicos islands have mosquitoes close to a half inch long.
They don't have any cattle because the mosquitoes suck the blood out of them.

Re: Dengue and Chikungunya? - 06/10/2017 06:44 PM

How big are they in Texas? LOL
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline