TravelTalkOnline

What % of boats head south for hurricane season?

Posted By: PelicanPirate

What % of boats head south for hurricane season? - 09/07/2017 12:42 AM

I was always under the impression that a large % of boats sailed south for Hurricane season.

Is the percentage roughly the same, more or less than it was 10, 20 or 30 years ago?
Posted By: Will_L

Re: What % of boats head south for hurricane season? - 09/07/2017 12:50 AM

No, charter boats and "local boats" like mine don't go anywhere . There is a carve out in the nsurance contract that modifies their liability.
Posted By: StormJib

Re: What % of boats head south for hurricane season? - 09/07/2017 01:23 AM

The smart money is always gone from "the box" from
The Keys to The Grenadines before June 1. The beaches in Irma path are the example along with the hassle and worry that goes with every approaching storm,

If the delivery is not in the cards for an owner. Today as long as you are willing to pay 1.5% or more of the boat value someone will sell you some insurance. What those underwriters pay out and how fast will become apparent to many in the coming weeks.

Re: What % of boats head south for hurricane season? - 09/07/2017 03:59 AM

Thanks for the replies. Just looked up Street's guide page and a lot of discussion there and he advised heading south. And that only some port in Venezuela had not been hit but odds much better as you said in the grenadines.

Again, thx.
Posted By: Maria_and_Steve

Re: What % of boats head south for hurricane season? - 09/07/2017 02:36 PM

In the last 5 years, many insurance companies have relaxed their policies and allowed boats to be inside the "hurricane box" during hurricane season with only an increased deductible (double) and no increase in rates. So many cruisers have opted to stay in the northern part of the islands (St. Lucia all the way up to Puerto Rico). I would guess the numbers are at least 50% (and probably more) of the cruising boats that are in the "hurricane box" during hurricane season.

Trinidad is outside the "hurricane box" as is the southern part of Grenada. Venezuela is not an option for obvious reasons (safety and security). The ABC islands are also fine during hurricane season as is Panama and parts of Colombia, if you wish to exit the Eastern Caribbean.

I would expect all of this may change with the massive destruction caused by Irma this season. It may not be possible to stay inside the "hurricane box" and still be insured post Irma for many years.

Re: What % of boats head south for hurricane season? - 09/07/2017 02:46 PM

Yeah, the fine print on lattitude is gonna change or the rates.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline