TravelTalkOnline

Airport expansion

Posted By: agrimsrud

Airport expansion - 12/28/2017 10:14 PM

Surely the airport expansion is way on the back burner given the amount of money necessary to rebuild the infrastructure. Any official news?
Posted By: GlennA

Re: Airport expansion - 12/28/2017 11:23 PM

The "Consultation on Recovery and Rebuilding" available on the BVI.gov site has the airport at budgeted at $250 million out of the total $750+ million rebuilding budget. The airport to be funded by "public/NGO/statutory" sources.

Other items include $48 mil for BVIEC, $56 mil for roads, $61 mil for water/sewer.
Total comes to $721 mil but I would back out the $250 mil for the airport and about $50mil for "Government services and Administration" to get a real "net of cookie jar" figure.
Posted By: agrimsrud

Re: Airport expansion - 12/29/2017 12:25 AM

Hmmm... bury the airport costs in a "recovery" budget. Yup.... politicians are pretty much the same the world over. It will be curious to see how (or if) they plan to pay for 750mil. How many more taxes can they assess before the visitors start to seek other destinations? When we checked in by boat in early November we had cruising tax, departure tax, envirion mental impact fee (that was a new one. $50) and I suppose something else I've tried to forget. What next?
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline