TravelTalkOnline

Moorings Navigation Question

Posted By: Schwendy

Moorings Navigation Question - 05/19/2018 03:35 PM

I can't remember from last time. Is there a Cruising Guide provided on Mooring's boats? I know there's a chart but do I need to pack my own CG? I'm at max weight on my luggage, trying to trim every pound and don't want to bring my own if there is one. Also, does anyone know what features are needed on the iPad for Navionics? I have the updated version but my iPad seems to be crapping out. Thinking of a new one but I don't remember what's required for the GPS to work offline. Do I need the wifi/cellular model or just the wifi model? Will any of the new one's work with Navionics?
Posted By: louismcc

Re: Moorings Navigation Question - 05/19/2018 03:46 PM

We have a Moorings charter coming up in July, after an absence of 15 years, and a few things have changed. One is that they don't send you a Cruising Guide but rather give you a link to an on-line version of the guide. While that makes it handy to share with others in your crew, I still like to have a book in hand, so I bought a copy as well as a copy of Virgin Anchorages.
Posted By: Schwendy

Re: Moorings Navigation Question - 05/19/2018 04:07 PM

Thanks! Yeah I got that message too about the online version. I like the hard copy since I'd be using my iPad as additional navigation to the chart plotter. Two years ago my charter had one I think. I also have the Virgin Anchorages! That comes in handy!
Posted By: warren460

Re: Moorings Navigation Question - 05/19/2018 05:11 PM

You need the cellular version of the iPad to get an integrated gps antenna, otherwise you need an external gps antenna for the WiFi only iPad
Posted By: jphart

Re: Moorings Navigation Question - 05/19/2018 07:07 PM

Yes, Moorings, Sunsail, Footloose all have current sailing guides onboard.
One mark of top of the line charter outfits. (BVI x5, Grenadines, Abacos, Greece x2)

Good chartplotters also, all Raymarine I think. You really don’t need more than that. But all know about boys and men, and the price of our toys!
Posted By: NCSailor

Re: Moorings Navigation Question - 05/19/2018 07:09 PM

In the old days Moorings sent a Cruising Guide with the contract paperwork. I have a dozen or so going back 20 years. They now have a one aboard the boat.
Posted By: stlmco

Re: Moorings Navigation Question - 05/20/2018 12:08 AM

TMM still sends one out with all bookings. Just another reason why they are our preferred charter company.
Posted By: Steve27

Re: Moorings Navigation Question - 05/20/2018 11:24 AM

We are heading done in July and I called the Moorings and there is a Cruising Guide on all the boats they said along with the charts of course. I would not over think the Navionics and worry about it since the onboard Chart Plotter is really all you need. In all the times we have chartered with them I have never needed any other device. Of course if your wanting to play with other gadgets and have fun plotting on them then its all good. If you need a wifi connection you can get that at Renport where you get the phone but it will cost you some. Have a great trip!!
Posted By: GeorgeC1

Re: Moorings Navigation Question - 05/20/2018 01:13 PM

Most of the Moorings boats now have a plotter that will Bluetooth link to a tablet.
G

Re: Moorings Navigation Question - 05/20/2018 06:09 PM

George, do you have idea of the brand and model plotter they're using on the boats? We're on a 45.3 in July and I'd like to read up on it if possible.
Posted By: GeorgeC1

Re: Moorings Navigation Question - 05/20/2018 06:40 PM

Ray marine C95 is on many of the boats. Boats less than two years old might have a newer model.
Posted By: agrimsrud

Re: Moorings Navigation Question - 05/21/2018 01:47 AM

The standard instruments on a Beneteau 45 will be B&G. I would be a little surprised if the Mooring's boats used anything different but I suppose it's possible.
Posted By: Steve27

Re: Moorings Navigation Question - 05/21/2018 01:55 AM

On Moorings Charters...Raymarine Instrument Package: Includes Ray55 VHF at Nav Station & additional VHF at helm, C95 Color Chart plotter with converter, p70 color autopilot, i70 color instrument with depth transducer.

Re: Moorings Navigation Question - 05/21/2018 02:12 AM

Thanks all for the information. Looks like a little light reading is in order before the trip.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline