TravelTalkOnline

Dead Chest Coral Gardens

Posted By: Higgins78

Dead Chest Coral Gardens - 05/29/2018 11:53 AM

Does anyone know (exactly) where 'Coral Gardens' is located near Dead Chest? Heard its pretty good snorkeling and thought it may have avoided some of the Irma impact (being a little deeper and off-shore). All I've heard is that it's on the 'north east side of Dead Chest' and presume its the shallow area shown on this aerial. Assuming it's super calm, I thought it might be a good lunch and snorkel spot, anchoring just off the dock in sand.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: GeorgeC1

Re: Dead Chest Coral Gardens - 05/29/2018 02:43 PM

Inside the Bay on the south side there are two park service balls. Grab either one and snorkel out toward the point and around it if it is very calm. If it’s not calm the site will not be fun. If it is it’s a good snorkel and dive.
G
Posted By: BaardJ

Re: Dead Chest Coral Gardens - 05/29/2018 02:46 PM

Yes. Coral Gardens is off the northeast point. There was a mooring ball about where the boat is located in the picture. There was also a day mooring in the bay just off the dock. I don't know if the balls survived Irma. It's been a few years since I snorkeled there. We would moor by the dock, then dinghy out to the reef. It's exposed so attempt in calmer conditions (<10 kts).
Posted By: maytrix

Re: Dead Chest Coral Gardens - 05/29/2018 10:32 PM

We did this our first trip (7? years ago) and it was great. Tried to find it a later trip and couldn't. If I recall, there is a yellow mooring in the sandy area and that is NOT it - we tried that and it was just sand everywhere. If you find the right ball for coral gardens (assuming it exists), you should drop down right into large coral heads (assuming I remember it correctly).
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline