TravelTalkOnline

Oil Nut Bay

Posted By: burge

Oil Nut Bay - 06/04/2018 02:39 PM

Anyone spend the night at the Oil Nut Bay Marina yet?
Looks like 2.00 a foot plus electric.
If not the night anyone tie up at the Marina for the day ? If so did they charge?
I know you can go there for lunch and most take the Water taxi from Gun creek.
Dingy ride is too far.

Any other feedback?
Posted By: DChapp

Re: Oil Nut Bay - 06/04/2018 03:22 PM

We spent a night there in March. Great staff, launch service from the marina to the beach Club was nice.
Would recommend to others and we will go back in July.
Posted By: DEL

Re: Oil Nut Bay - 06/04/2018 04:05 PM

We tied up at the marina for the day in April for no charge. Got free launch service to the beach club too for lunch. Don't know how much longer that price will last. Suggest you contact them directly.

Re: Oil Nut Bay - 06/04/2018 04:45 PM

What day in July are you targeting... we are June 30 - July 10 this time.
Posted By: DChapp

Re: Oil Nut Bay - 06/04/2018 04:57 PM

June 29-July 7.
Posted By: Higgins78

Re: Oil Nut Bay - 06/04/2018 08:03 PM

I know your question was about the marina, but thought some might be interested:

We plan to dinghy from Leverick ~ June 20th to Gun Creek and catch the shuttle which (according to an email they sent me) runs at 10:30am and 11:30am with reservation from info@oilnutbay.com or 1-284-393-1000.
Posted By: Nobartoofar

Re: Oil Nut Bay - 06/05/2018 07:36 PM

We were there two weeks ago and contacted them the day before we arrived to make a lunch reservation. They supplied us with a chart of the channel between Saba and Bitter End and we had no trouble navigating through. We were told to tie up at the marina at the end of the T-dock, staff was there to assist with the lines. We were given a quick water taxi ride around to the arrival dock and then a golf cart ride to the resort. All of the water toys were made available for use at no charge. There was no charge for the day at their marina. I don't know how much longer this will last but this little bit of heaven is fabulous while it lasts.

Re: Oil Nut Bay - 06/05/2018 08:34 PM

awesome info..thanks so much.
Posted By: NeilCanada

Re: Oil Nut Bay - 06/05/2018 09:15 PM

I have yet to navigate between Saba and Bitter End. How was the transition? Depth etc. Thanks for any info.
Neil
Posted By: agrimsrud

Re: Oil Nut Bay - 06/05/2018 10:30 PM

Originally Posted by Nobartoofar
They supplied us with a chart of the channel between Saba and Bitter End and we had no trouble navigating through.

Could you post that chart? Thanks!
Posted By: rhans

Re: Oil Nut Bay - 06/06/2018 12:43 AM

Originally Posted by agrimsrud
They supplied us with a chart of the channel between Saba and Bitter End and we had no trouble navigating through.

Could you post that chart? Thanks!

Me too please

Re: Oil Nut Bay - 06/06/2018 01:15 AM

Not sure if this link will work:

https://dochub.com/dstumpe2/BL1Kw3/onb-water-depth-map-dec-2017

Re: Oil Nut Bay - 06/06/2018 01:32 AM

It indicates I don't have permission to access the file.

Re: Oil Nut Bay - 06/06/2018 01:35 AM

It should be public now

Re: Oil Nut Bay - 06/06/2018 01:55 AM

It should be public now

thanks!

Re: Oil Nut Bay - 06/06/2018 02:01 AM

We made the trip in a 44 power cat and never saw anything less than 6 ft. Not sure how we would fare in a monohull.
Posted By: Winterstale

Re: Oil Nut Bay - 06/06/2018 12:06 PM

Is it possible to dinghy over from a mooring in front of Saba or is that unrealistic?
Posted By: Winterstale

Re: Oil Nut Bay - 06/06/2018 12:07 PM

We made the trip in a 44 power cat and never saw anything less than 6 ft. Not sure how we would fare in a monohull.

Our draft is 5’9....I wouldn’t think of risking it....

Re: Oil Nut Bay - 06/06/2018 12:54 PM

It would be a long ride, but no longer than going around from Great Harbor around to white Bay. You could also take a water taxi from Gun Creek.
Posted By: Christo

Re: Oil Nut Bay - 06/06/2018 02:38 PM

Winterstale - we did this 5 times in January. Two people, 15hp, standard Sunsail AB RIB. No issues at all. Max wind we had was around 22 knots. We stayed dry.

It takes a little while, but the ride home is with wind & waves so a lot quicker and smoother!

Just watch where you tie your RIB at the beach club...if you're not careful the swell will lump it under the dock and give it bit of a munching.
Posted By: GlennA

Re: Oil Nut Bay - 06/06/2018 03:10 PM

From that chart it looks like the route is pretty well marked and the shallowest depth is about 8'.
Posted By: LocalSailor

Re: Oil Nut Bay - 06/07/2018 01:16 AM

)I have sailed Eustacia sound quite often, long before but ]not since a buoyed channel existed. I used the passage through the reef to head off across the Anegada Passage above Pajaro Point.
Never had any depth problems ,just eyeball navigation and a lead line the 1st few trips.
If the channel is marked as indicated on the chart posted above there should be no difficulty.

Re: Oil Nut Bay - 06/07/2018 01:21 AM

Originally Posted by Christo
Winterstale - we did this 5 times in January. Two people, 15hp, standard Sunsail AB RIB. No issues at all. Max wind we had was around 22 knots. We stayed dry.

It takes a little while, but the ride home is with wind & waves so a lot quicker and smoother!

Just watch where you tie your RIB at the beach club...if you're not careful the swell will lump it under the dock and give it bit of a munching.

Christo - so were all of the channel markers in place?
Posted By: Christo

Re: Oil Nut Bay - 06/07/2018 08:06 AM

Agrimsrud - I hadn't seen the chart produced by ONB (which somebody posted on this thread) at the time we were there. So I couldn't say 100% that all the markers were on station. But certainly the channel from North Sound, between Saba and BEYC all the way up to the Beach Club main arrival dock was very well marked.

Whilst we were there we saw several large (c. 50ft) cats make the same journey to drop people off. They seemed to have no issues.
Posted By: DEL

Re: Oil Nut Bay - 06/07/2018 02:29 PM

There is a similar chart on page 236 of the 2017-18 Cruising Guide. Worked for us.
Posted By: BaardJ

Re: Oil Nut Bay - 06/07/2018 07:04 PM

In mid-March, the first pair of red & green markers were missing just east of Saba Rock. This is the narrowest and shallowest part of the channel to ONB. I draw 4'2" and have measured 2'6" under my keel with a calibrated depthsounder so there are at least some coral heads at 6-7'. Take it slow and don't stray too close to BEYC shoreline in this area. Once past BEYC the channel widens and you have plenty of depth.

If you're returning from ONB to North Sound in late afternoon you'll have the sun in your eyes. The tedency is to take a straight course towards the passage between Saba Rock and BEYC but this will put you on the reef just north of BEYC where the markers are missing. Stay a bit to port to veer around this reef.
Posted By: Steve27

Re: Oil Nut Bay - 06/07/2018 10:25 PM

If you're returning from ONB to North Sound in late afternoon you'll have the sun in your eyes. The tedency is to take a straight course towards the passage between Saba Rock and BEYC but this will put you on the reef just north of BEYC where the markers are missing. Stay a bit to port to veer around this reef.[/quote]

Looking at the chart if I stay port when returning I would hit the reef off BEYC and too starboard I would be on the reef off Saba Rock. Did you mean stay slight starboard from BEYC?
Posted By: BaardJ

Re: Oil Nut Bay - 06/08/2018 02:48 PM

My bad. Stay to starboard / north of the reef.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline