TravelTalkOnline

Help-kidney stone

Posted By: Flatsix

Help-kidney stone - 06/08/2018 12:28 PM

In JVD this morning and running low on Advil to help my wife make it through one more day of our trip. Anyone down here currently with an extra bottle to spare or willing to trade for a bottle of wine or lots of beer? We're sailing to Norman this morning and were hopeful to grab some in Sopers but now see not much open there yet. Thanks.
Posted By: Maria_and_Steve

Re: Help-kidney stone - 06/08/2018 01:11 PM

If you see a cruising sailor in the anchorage, just dinghy over and ask them. They will be more than willing to give you Advil!!! Good luck.
Posted By: kneafseym

Re: Help-kidney stone - 06/08/2018 05:10 PM

Go to the clinic on JVD, they can help, but you are probably gone by now.
Posted By: casailor53

Re: Help-kidney stone - 06/08/2018 07:17 PM

obviously, drink lots and lots of water. and jump up and down a few times
Posted By: Jeannius

Re: Help-kidney stone - 06/09/2018 05:29 AM

If it is really a kidney stone I don't see Advil being much help. It took a Pethadine injection before I could stay still enough for the ER team to examine me properly. Don't ever want to go through that again.

Strangely enough I got the stones on a BVI trip as well but fortunately I'd been home 24 hours before the pain started.
Posted By: Deepcut

Re: Help-kidney stone - 06/09/2018 11:34 AM

The effects of kidney stones can vary from mild pain, to typical pain with passage , but may also cause true obstruction with potential damage to kidney. If infections behind stone and not draining, this can result in sepsis and death(high fever may develop)

So if not appearing to resolve, may need to go to hospital.

Agree with lots of hydration....

(Not a kidney doctor)
Posted By: Annoddddd

Re: Help-kidney stone - 06/09/2018 12:29 PM

Oh man. That's sucks. My husband learned Advil helped more than the narcotics during his last episode, except during the worst of the time when morphine barely touched the pain.

I agree on dinging around the Harbour and asking for Advil. Boaters are generally compassionate and helpful people.

Good luck to your wife. I'm so sorry this is the way vacation is ending.

Fingers crossed for some relief.
Posted By: sail445

Re: Help-kidney stone - 06/09/2018 02:12 PM

Drink plenty of Cranberry juice and water
Posted By: casailor53

Re: Help-kidney stone - 06/09/2018 07:06 PM

actually, the whole "cranberry is good for the urinary tract" thing has been debunked, I recently read. it was always anecdotal, but they apparently finally did a controlled study. but it is wet, which is good. hydrate, hydrate, hydrate. I had had a few stones before I moved to the Caribbean in '95. but I really had to change things up, once there. mostly Amstel light. lots of Amstel light!
Posted By: GeorgeC1

Re: Help-kidney stone - 06/09/2018 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by Annoddddd
Oh man. That's sucks. My husband learned Advil helped more than the narcotics during his last episode, except during the worst of the time when morphine barely touched the pain.

I agree on dinging around the Harbour and asking for Advil. Boaters are generally compassionate and helpful people.

Originally Posted by Annoddddd

The only problem with Advil is the advise to not drink alcohol while using it is very true. You can easily damage the liver and the effects are cumulative. It can also cause severe bleeding in the stomach when combined with alcohol.
G
Posted By: Flatsix

Re: Help-kidney stone - 06/10/2018 12:26 PM

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions and tips. I was able to grab a few packs of ibuprofen from the nice small convenience store at the JVD fuel dock. She made it through the week and we just returned home last evening. Another outstanding sailing trip in the BVI...but now we are scheduling a do-over so my wife can truly enjoy the full week! Our final night in the Bight she began to perk up and we enjoyed a delicious dinner and key lime pie at the new Pirate's Bight restaurant. Cheers to all!
Posted By: Manpot

Re: Help-kidney stone - 06/10/2018 04:33 PM

Flatsix...glad it worked out and that you will return..judging by your moniker you must be a Porsche guy?
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline