TravelTalkOnline

Where to purchase lobster

Posted By: stlmco

Where to purchase lobster - 06/14/2018 12:52 AM

Heading to Anegada tomorrow. Does anyone know where we can purchase lobster there. To be clear, looking for fresh whole live lobster, NOT a recommendation for a restaurant. In the past we have bought them at Aragorn’s in Trellis Bay, but they did not have any when we were there yesterday.
Posted By: sleepychef

Re: Where to purchase lobster - 06/14/2018 01:15 AM

S&K Rentals
Posted By: ndfaninnc

Re: Where to purchase lobster - 06/14/2018 12:38 PM

Without knowing how much time you have on Anegada, you can have someone take you out to the conch mound. While out there they will take you nearby to catch your own lobster. We did that in May and Bell at Cow Wreck cooked it for us.
Posted By: BaardJ

Re: Where to purchase lobster - 06/14/2018 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by stlmco
Heading to Anegada tomorrow. Does anyone know where we can purchase lobster there. To be clear, looking for fresh whole live lobster, NOT a recommendation for a restaurant. In the past we have bought them at Aragorn’s in Trellis Bay, but they did not have any when we were there yesterday.

Just curious..how do you prepare them? Please share your recipe.
Posted By: stlmco

Re: Where to purchase lobster - 06/15/2018 12:10 AM

Stephani with S&K hooked us up... $15/lb. Thanks.

I keep it real simple. I remove the tails , split them, season them with what ever is available and place them on the grill for 10-12 minutes turning once, I then have garlic butter available for dipping. Other people will baste them with butter, but I don’t bother.
Posted By: BaardJ

Re: Where to purchase lobster - 06/15/2018 02:33 AM

Thanks. I'll have to try that when I just have a crew of 4 (not the 11 on the upcoming trip).
Posted By: mike

Re: Where to purchase lobster - 06/22/2018 07:09 PM

i LIVE IN NEW HAMPSHIRE AND AM VERY CLOSE TO MAINE SO i HAVE BEEN SPOILED BY OUR COLD ,NEW eNGLAND LOBSTERS.. tHE LOBSTER i HAD IN JOST WERE LIKE EATING CARDBOARD AND i GAVE MY 5 POUNDER AWAY AND HAD CHEESE AND CRACKERS FOR MY DINNER [ WITH A DROP OF VODKA ] !!
Posted By: mcevog

Re: Where to purchase lobster - 06/22/2018 10:40 PM

Caps lock... please!
Posted By: Sea&SkiPJ

Re: Where to purchase lobster - 06/23/2018 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by mike
i LIVE IN NEW HAMPSHIRE AND AM VERY CLOSE TO MAINE SO i HAVE BEEN SPOILED BY OUR COLD ,NEW eNGLAND LOBSTERS.. tHE LOBSTER i HAD IN JOST WERE LIKE EATING CARDBOARD AND i GAVE MY 5 POUNDER AWAY AND HAD CHEESE AND CRACKERS FOR MY DINNER [ WITH A DROP OF VODKA ] !!

@Mike I'm from Massachusetts and share your opinion of Caribbean Rock Lobster. They look good, but don't taste anything like what we're used to. I think they're actually more of a large crayfish than a lobster. The good news is, there's still plenty of tasty fresh fish, chicken roti and BBQ to be had smile
Posted By: xrayman67

Re: Where to purchase lobster - 06/23/2018 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by Sea&SkiPJ
Originally Posted by mike

@Mike I'm from Massachusetts and share your opinion of Caribbean Rock Lobster. They look good, but don't taste anything like what we're used to. I think they're actually more of a large crayfish than a lobster. The good news is, there's still plenty of tasty fresh fish, chicken roti and BBQ to be had smile

In my opinion, Maine lobster is always bland compared to the succulent Anegada spiny lobster. I've never eaten cardboard, so I'm not sure if I would like it or not.

Re: Where to purchase lobster - 06/23/2018 03:04 PM

[/quote]
In my opinion, Maine lobster is always bland compared to the succulent Anegada spiny lobster. I've never eaten cardboard, so I'm not sure if I would like it or not.[/quote]

Clearly a matter of taste. My guess is that people from the northeast would prefer Maine lobster and folks from the tropics, spiny lobster. Fortunately, there are plenty of food options in the BVI, so everyone can be happy.
Posted By: Steve27

Re: Where to purchase lobster - 06/24/2018 12:34 PM

I think its a funny observation to see people compare food from a totally different region of the world and are unhappy it does not taste the same. When I travel I love to be part of the culture and food experience. Its what traveling and life is all about. Its ok to compare but just don't go into it expecting the same type of food to taste the same. Have had many types of Lobsters over the years and they all tasted a little different, some good and some bad, but the experience was priceless.
Posted By: drcabral

Re: Where to purchase lobster - 06/24/2018 12:40 PM

There are some who don’t have the privilege of comparing lobsters around the world. It’s important to enjoy the experience and be grateful. IMHO.

Re: Where to purchase lobster - 06/24/2018 01:22 PM

I've traveled all over the world, from southeast Asia to Scandinavia, Europe, the UK, Central America and the Caribbean. The experiences have all been wonderful, in vastly different ways.

But, the reality is, taste is taste; just because something's consumed in an exotic location, that doesn't make it taste any better. And if we're spending a lot of money on something that tastes bad, then the experience is weakened, not enhanced. The point is, it's best to establish those expectations in advance, whenever possible, so one's experience remains amazing and not disappointing. Hence the purpose of these forums. So, if one's from New England, then don't expect a comparable lobster experience. Now everyone can manage expectations and have a wonderful experience.
Posted By: Maria_and_Steve

Re: Where to purchase lobster - 06/24/2018 05:26 PM

I was surprised by the price for the lobster quoted above, $15/pound!?!

Wow, that is expensive compared with the Windward Islands where lobster is 10EC a pound (about $5 per pound). Sailing further south is more lively but maybe the price of lobster makes it more attractive? smile
Posted By: Freedom21

Re: Where to purchase lobster - 06/24/2018 09:15 PM

Just bought lobsters for my sailing club’s Lobster Fest that was last night in Montreal. I paid about $8.80 a pound cdn and the lobsters averaged 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 each. Per average they costs about $12 cdn each. Just so you get an idea of prices.

Re: Where to purchase lobster - 06/24/2018 10:02 PM

Good to know.

FYI, Maine lobsters run about $9.95 per pound for 1.5 - 3-pounders. But those are lobster pound prices, not restaurant prices, so expect to pay more.
Posted By: hallucination

Re: Where to purchase lobster - 06/24/2018 10:13 PM

If you run into a guy sitting on a small boat in the middle of no-where, ask him what is he getting? Good chance you can pick up any size lobster you want off the skiff for 20 bucks. Tip for breaking off the tail, not from the top. De-tail-ate the guy from the belly.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline