TravelTalkOnline

Late Aug-Sep in Anegada

Posted By: GypsyMermaid

Late Aug-Sep in Anegada - 07/03/2018 11:04 PM

Our bareboat crew is reluctant to return so we're going by land this trip. Planning to go to Anegada Beach Club roughly around late August to early Sept. Will any of the restaurants, etc be open on Anegada then? I searched archives and online but all is referenced to pre Irma. I know a lot of places take a hiatus around this time but thought I would ask.
Posted By: GeorgeC1

Re: Late Aug-Sep in Anegada - 07/04/2018 04:39 AM

Late Aug to early Sep is the season! Make sure you have a viable hurricane escape plan. I know others who found it difficult to work out transportation issues.
G

Re: Late Aug-Sep in Anegada - 07/04/2018 01:50 PM

Thanks GeorgeC1, appreciate you taking the time for a reply.
Posted By: Steve27

Re: Late Aug-Sep in Anegada - 07/04/2018 09:46 PM

I would say its probably the worst time to go down. Water temps are predicted to elevate end of August which can lead to more hurricanes. The peak of the season is September. I would contact the place you are looking at staying and see if they will even be open. Most places close down August 15. Good luck and stay safe.

Steve
Posted By: ndfaninnc

Re: Late Aug-Sep in Anegada - 07/05/2018 12:15 PM

You will have very limited options for food as most if not all will be closed then. As others have said, much higher risk of tropical storms or hurricanes.

Re: Late Aug-Sep in Anegada - 07/05/2018 07:08 PM

I will add one thing. If you are a diver or love to snorkel late summer and early fall is the best time for both visibility and wind/current.
G
Posted By: west8th

Re: Late Aug-Sep in Anegada - 07/05/2018 08:10 PM

We'll be chartering the first week of September. Our first BVI charter in 3 years. DYC looks like the only charter company operating that week.

We're hoping to find some restaurants open. (I'm going to start emailing places to see who will be open for planning.) So far I know the Scrub Island Marina will be open and we will spend a night there.

I guess we are kind of rolling the dice with the weather, but the most recent report I read said it will be a below average season.

Re: Late Aug-Sep in Anegada - 07/06/2018 03:09 PM

Thanks to all for you help. Before retirement I worked offshore for close to 40 years and went through two hurricanes on a small island off Mexico and ran from countless others. The weather is totally unpredictable and I don't think long range forecasts (as to what kind of season it will be) should restrict your travel as an absolute. My plan is simple, if it is predicted to have a possibility of coming your way, leave, end of story. That said we are limited in time of year we can travel so thanks "west8th" for your idea of contacting the individual establishments for their plans, I'll do the same.
Posted By: StormJib

Re: Late Aug-Sep in Anegada - 07/06/2018 03:55 PM

We have enjoyed the Caribbean every month of the year. There is a reason the Carribean Season is known as any time after Thanksgiving and anytime before May 1st. Weather Stability The smart money travels elsewhere for their vacation time between May and December 1. Sure you can have spectacular weeks during that window. But, any week between May 1 and Dec 1 can fall victim to a Wave that rains you out or much worse if a real storm makes it that way. Rolling the Dice works for many each year and not so well for others.

Maine is great during August.

[Linked Image]

Re: Late Aug-Sep in Anegada - 07/06/2018 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by west8th

I guess we are kind of rolling the dice with the weather, but the most recent report I read said it will be a below average season.

Not sure what site you were looking at but all the sites have stated average to above average storm year. That said you can have 33 named storms and if none make landfall then you have a nice science project. If you have a season with just 1 storm and it makes landfall well then its a bad season. Look at 1992 with the first named storm in August and it was Hurricane Andrew that ripped apart the Caribbean and Florida.
Posted By: sail445

Re: Late Aug-Sep in Anegada - 07/06/2018 09:36 PM

Steve, Hurricane Andrew didn’t hit the Caribbean but it was the first hurricane of the season and it wiped out south Florida

Re: Late Aug-Sep in Anegada - 07/06/2018 10:00 PM

Originally Posted by sail445
Steve, Hurricane Andrew didn’t hit the Caribbean but it was the first hurricane of the season and it wiped out south Florida

Bahamas and Florida..Close enough and get my point. But hey thanks for the correction..I will sleep better now.
Posted By: warren460

Re: Late Aug-Sep in Anegada - 07/07/2018 03:10 AM

The Official forecast has been lowered quite a bit, most recently this past week.

Re: Late Aug-Sep in Anegada - 07/08/2018 01:19 AM

My point is its a crap shoot with these predictions. These are a guess at best and like I mentioned above all it takes is one. Best is to just look at the weather before going down and always prudent to try to go outside of the season if possible. If you cant then enjoy your time and watch the weather.

Re: Late Aug-Sep in Anegada - 07/08/2018 01:19 PM

I would still go. My point was just have a exit plan. I sailed in the BVI in Oct for 20 straight years. Never had to cancel or return to base for WX.
Posted By: sail445

Re: Late Aug-Sep in Anegada - 07/08/2018 01:50 PM

The winds and seas are the best for a relaxing sail and diving during the hurricane season especially from August till October.
The odds of getting hit by a hurricane very slim.
Posted By: RatmansWife

Re: Late Aug-Sep in Anegada - 07/08/2018 04:52 PM

George, agree with the exit plan. Only thing is, you’ll get a seat out before any of us!

Re: Late Aug-Sep in Anegada - 07/08/2018 08:24 PM

Actually I would be last to get a seat out on Standby. By exit plan I mean getting off Anegada. You can safely weather the storm on Tortola or St Thomas. The easiest exit plan is to get off the island at least 72 hours prior to a storm. It probably would still turn but if you wait until the day prior and it doesn’t getting off Anegada and finding a place to stay will be difficult. If Irma had turned north I suspect the death toll on Anegada might have been a tragedy.
Posted By: warren460

Re: Late Aug-Sep in Anegada - 07/08/2018 08:33 PM

Those on Anegada were very lucky given the lack of high ground.
Posted By: NCSailor

Re: Late Aug-Sep in Anegada - 07/08/2018 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by GeorgeC1
I would still go. My point was just have a exit plan. I sailed in the BVI in Oct for 20 straight years. Never had to cancel or return to base for WX.

I guess you weren't in the BVI for Hurricane Omar.

Re: Late Aug-Sep in Anegada - 07/09/2018 01:16 AM

Originally Posted by NCSailor
Originally Posted by GeorgeC1

I guess you weren't in the BVI for Hurricane Omar.

If that was the storm that formed west of the islands and did the 180 to hit the BVI I missed it by two days. Finished up a charter and was home when it hit.
G
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline