TravelTalkOnline

Which BVI Charter Company is Best?

Posted By: lbos20

Which BVI Charter Company is Best? - 07/19/2018 02:12 PM

Hello! We are looking to charter a powercat this Fall in the BVIs and wondering which company to deal with. Looking at Moorings and Virgin Motor Yachts? Any advice?
Posted By: TIMRIM

Re: Which BVI Charter Company is Best? - 07/19/2018 02:57 PM

Check Marine Max. They have water makers. We have always used moorings... Due to a quick trip this year and scrambling for a boat we booked with them. Nice boat.

Re: Which BVI Charter Company is Best? - 07/19/2018 05:35 PM

Thank you! Were you pleased with Moorings? And why Moorings over Virgin Motor Yachts...wondering the difference.
Posted By: Lexington14

Re: Which BVI Charter Company is Best? - 07/19/2018 06:29 PM

Virgin Motor Yachts is a pleasure to charter with. They are a smaller company and can be more flexible to accommodate your needs.

Re: Which BVI Charter Company is Best? - 07/19/2018 07:49 PM

Thank you! VMY unfortunately can't accommodate our dates (they were our first choice) so trying to decide if we change dates or go with Moorings if they are good as well.
Posted By: Steve27

Re: Which BVI Charter Company is Best? - 07/19/2018 08:46 PM

We have chartered Power Cats from the Moorings for years and have never had issues. Easy in and out and if something goes wrong they respond. We had 1 issue with the anchor control in the windlass and I called them on the provided cell phone and they came to Cane Garden bay where we were and fixed it right away. Didn't interrupt our trip at all. Facilities at their base is top notch and we have stayed the night before in the hotel. We not love doing an evening start and get the boat by 6 pm and sleep on that to get off the dock early. If you have any questions or concerns PM me. We will by down in 6 more days on a 514PC!
Posted By: hallucination

Re: Which BVI Charter Company is Best? - 07/19/2018 10:28 PM

I would suggest any company that has a post IRMA boat. Friends of ours had a devil of a time with their PC.
Posted By: warren460

Re: Which BVI Charter Company is Best? - 07/20/2018 03:12 AM

It depends if sea water got into the boat
Posted By: Deepcut

Re: Which BVI Charter Company is Best? - 07/20/2018 11:58 AM

TMM has one new power boat in their fleet(and arrived post Irma). I have little experience with powercats but was aboard theirs and it seemed nice. It may be a nice option to consider.
Posted By: maytrix

Re: Which BVI Charter Company is Best? - 07/20/2018 12:03 PM

Moorings are good. We owned a boat with them for 5 years and chartered a couple times with them prior. Always had a great time. They also have what is probably the nicest base of all the charter companies.

I don't think there's really a company you could go wrong with though - they are all there to provide the same thing - a boat for you to enjoy your charter on. They all want you to have a good time and good experience.
Posted By: NCSailor

Re: Which BVI Charter Company is Best? - 07/20/2018 08:47 PM

The charter companies have different personalities like people. You can find lower end, less expensive companies or bigger operations with great base amenities and newer boats. What fits you depends on your budget and expectations.
Posted By: hallucination

Re: Which BVI Charter Company is Best? - 07/20/2018 08:50 PM

Not the case, I'm already into a fair bit of repairs on DRY electronics. Yes, salt water is the kiss of death, but violence breaks things too. I had ZERO water inside and my VHF and Interior GPS are toast. Some poorly designed exhausts got water up the system. My buddies cat he rented had severe (4 days of chase boats) on engine issues.

Re: Which BVI Charter Company is Best? - 07/20/2018 11:02 PM

Some boats fell over at nanny cay. That may have been more jarring than the hurricane winds
Posted By: b6fischer

Re: Which BVI Charter Company is Best? - 07/21/2018 03:51 PM

TMM has post Irma boats in the fleet. I have one charter next summer, 2018 Helia 44

Re: Which BVI Charter Company is Best? - 07/21/2018 05:18 PM

Some TMM pre Irma boats have already been restored and are back In operation after extensive surveys and shakedowns.

These boats are operating very reliably in charter.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline