TravelTalkOnline

Airpot authority in STT will spend 230M on upgrades including direct airport services to the BVI

Posted By: tpcook

Airpot authority in STT will spend 230M on upgrades including direct airport services to the BVI - 08/27/2018 03:36 PM

Direct link to the BVI

Interesting improvements to the STT airport including a direct link to the BVI from the airport
Posted By: Manpot

Re: Airpot authority in STT will spend 230M on upgrades including direct airport services to the BVI - 08/27/2018 03:46 PM

Would love to believe they will allow ferries up to the airport..of course it makes absolute sense..unless you are a cab driver making $10 a head for an 8 min run! I had heard that the cabbies had blocked this proposal before..and most certainly will try again. I see they also plan to put in jet bridges and , to me, that takes away a little of the glamour of arriving in some tropical "port"..opening the jet and getting that first smell of warm , moist air. It would be nice if AA would put in a small "Admirals Club" for those of us who do get to the airport three hours early. This plan also makes the idea of expanding EIS even more stupid.
Posted By: Carol_Hill

Re: Airpot authority in STT will spend 230M on upgrades including direct airport services to the BVI - 08/27/2018 05:12 PM

Yes, it should be interesting if it actually happens, as the taxi lobby is VERY strong! Regarding jetways, there is a certain 'romance' to going outside down stairs, but it makes for a very difficult time for those with mobility issues. Jetways are a very GOOD thing, in my opinion..
Posted By: agrimsrud

Re: Airpot authority in STT will spend 230M on upgrades including direct airport services to the BVI - 08/27/2018 06:30 PM

Here is something I"m curious about....
Assuming you could fly into STT from a foreign country and your destination is BVI - would you need a US visa to be able to clear in to the US just so you could take a cab to the ferry terminatl and leave for the BVI? How does this work now?

If you are required to clear in to the US (and thus imply a visa) it would be even sweeter if the ferry terminal could be before immigration clearance so you could use STT as a way to get to the BVI without having to clear in to the US. You could be "in transit". Yea .. I know... that probably makes way too much sense to ever happen in real life.
Posted By: NCSailor

Re: Airpot authority in STT will spend 230M on upgrades including direct airport services to the BVI - 08/27/2018 08:05 PM

This is a great idea but unless the USVI is getting federal dollars they simply can't afford this project. The government was broke before Irma and tourist tax revenue is way down since then.
Posted By: GlennA

Re: Airpot authority in STT will spend 230M on upgrades including direct airport services to the BVI - 08/27/2018 08:42 PM

I don't believe there are any international arrivals at STT. All flights originate in the US so any visa requirements would be for the US. It is a rather odd situation. As a US posession you do have to clear immegrations to depart for the US mainland but not the other way. Return from the BVI is a different matter.

If this can get past the taxi lobby it definitely would be great to just walk to a ferry terminal in Lindberg Bay and get on a ferry running on RELIABLE SCHEDULE that is coordinated with flight arrivals.
Posted By: tpcook

Re: Airpot authority in STT will spend 230M on upgrades including direct airport services to the BVI - 08/28/2018 11:47 AM

I believe there are some flight to/from St Martin, other islands
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline