TravelTalkOnline

Joyce

Posted By: Manpot

Joyce - 09/17/2018 03:05 PM

Like most on here I've been watching the hurricane sites..and am getting concerned about "Joyce". This was a hurricane a few days ago and headed for Ireland and Scotland!! Now its done a U turn and is heading back down south south east towards our beloved islands. I wonder if it will strengthen again in the warmer water and become a threat.Anyone else remember "left turn Lennie"?? Thoughts??
Posted By: Kmon

Re: Joyce - 09/17/2018 03:59 PM

This 11AM Advisory shows it dissipated by Friday joy

https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/text/refresh/MIATCMAT5+shtml/171433.shtml
Posted By: maytrix

Re: Joyce - 09/17/2018 04:21 PM

Yeah, pretty much every model shows it weakening, not strengthening. With weather though, anything can happen. Next day or two should really help paint a better picture.
Posted By: LBI2SXM

Re: Joyce - 09/17/2018 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by Manpot
Like most on here I've been watching the hurricane sites..and am getting concerned about "Joyce". This was a hurricane a few days ago and headed for Ireland and Scotland!! Now its done a U turn and is heading back down south south east towards our beloved islands. I wonder if it will strengthen again in the warmer water and become a threat.Anyone else remember "left turn Lennie"?? Thoughts??

Remember the storm very well. We arrived in Tortola 2 days prior and spent the next 8 days in an oceanfront villa at Long Bay resort in our room. Our biggest fear was the storm surge. We asked the staff about it as we were right on the sea. He repeated, "We don't have storm surges in BVI" DUH...……………. The only food was chicken and rice in Styrofoam boxes (which we paid $30 a piece for), no liquor, same wet towels every day and the most obnoxious staff we have ever ran into. They did nothing to ease our vacation through a hurricane and after a few days the dam storm came back again. 8 days stuck in a room, never even used our rental car. Never will forget our worse vacation in Tortola. We heard Sugar Mill treated their quests like royalty. Oh well, live and learn LOL
Posted By: kneafseym

Re: Joyce - 09/20/2018 03:06 AM

I thought we were talking about the great gal at TMM, not some storm
Posted By: warren460

Re: Joyce - 09/20/2018 11:42 AM

Lol
Posted By: sail445

Re: Joyce - 09/20/2018 11:53 AM

Did you mean hurricane Irma or Maria because Joyce was way up north
Posted By: Kmon

Re: Joyce - 09/20/2018 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by sail445
Did you mean hurricane Irma or Maria because Joyce was way up north

I think he's referring to left turn (or wrong way) Lennie which the OP mentioned. It hit the islands from the southwest in 1999.
Posted By: sail445

Re: Joyce - 09/20/2018 12:13 PM

Think you’re right.
Back door Lennie opened a lot of eyes to the unpredictability of hurricanes.
Posted By: Orange_Burst

Re: Joyce - 09/20/2018 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by kneafseym
I thought we were talking about the great gal at TMM, not some storm

I thought the same thing, my heart sank when I read the headline.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline