TravelTalkOnline

BVI cruising tax

Posted By: agrimsrud

BVI cruising tax - 10/02/2018 12:18 AM

Who is supposed to pay cruising tax? My boat is managed by CYOA out of CA where it is chartered when I am not using it. This past August we came in to BVI at West End where I was told I had to pay $16/person/day cruising tax for my four friends on board. While myself and my two family members did not. We were absolutely not operating as a charter boat, i.e., my friends were not paying anything other than sharing the operating costs and I presented paper work proving the boat was owned by myself. Neither I nor my friends were charged any fee by CYOA. I am of the opinion that as we were not a "charter boat" I should not have to pay the tax. Obviously I can say that all I want but if C&I says otherwise I don't have much recourse. However, I would like to know if I'm right. Anyone?
Posted By: GeorgeC1

Re: BVI cruising tax - 10/02/2018 12:18 PM

As far as the BVI is concerned it’s a charter boat. Any non family must pay the taxes.
G
Posted By: warren460

Re: BVI cruising tax - 10/02/2018 12:22 PM

I had the same reception at west end. I understand that historically, they never charged guests on board as long as the owner was present.

Does jvd c&i also charge this?
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline