TravelTalkOnline

Taxi ripoff

Posted By: Manpot

Taxi ripoff - 10/22/2018 05:46 PM

I just heard of a very good reason to use someone like our friend and sponsor AC on here for your taxi needs on Tortola. I was just told of a cabbie charging a group $200 to go from Soper's to Riteway ( and, I believe back but not sure)..that is obscene and reflects badly on the BVI's..beware..ask first or better yet..use AC!!
Posted By: warren460

Re: Taxi ripoff - 10/22/2018 07:14 PM

Too bad there is no independent bus system to take people around the island for a reasonable price
Posted By: TravelHat

Re: Taxi ripoff - 10/23/2018 02:04 AM

They need Uber
Posted By: calsail

Re: Taxi ripoff - 10/23/2018 12:26 PM

Could you imagine the reaction of the taxi organization if Uber or similar tried to operate in the BVI
Posted By: Orange_Burst

Re: Taxi ripoff - 10/23/2018 12:36 PM

That is awful, but if you look at the taxi fare chart, cost from West End to Road Town is $12 per person. If 8 of them went to town, that is $96 each way x 2 is $192.00
Posted By: sail445

Re: Taxi ripoff - 10/23/2018 01:43 PM

The taxi organization won’t permit UBER, they do have busses in the form of vans for the locals just like the dollar bus in St Thomas
Posted By: RatmansWife

Re: Taxi ripoff - 10/23/2018 01:44 PM

Plus there’s a charge for bags.
Posted By: Danalogy

Re: Taxi ripoff - 10/23/2018 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by Manpot
I just heard of a very good reason to use someone like our friend and sponsor AC on here for your taxi needs on Tortola. I was just told of a cabbie charging a group $200 to go from Soper's to Riteway ( and, I believe back but not sure)..that is obscene and reflects badly on the BVI's..beware..ask first or better yet..use AC!!

Thanks for the heads up Malcolm! Do you have a number or full user name for AC? I assume s/he provides taxi services? I'm going to need a lot of rides when I'm there and would like to get that connection set up before I get there. Thanks!
Posted By: mcevog

Re: Taxi ripoff - 10/23/2018 09:25 PM

The per head charge is a killer - it really shouldn't cost more if you have 1 passenger in the van, than if you have 6 people in the van. But, the taxi lobby is a strong lobby and it doesnt seem to change. My solution, only travel in small groups - especially for visits to places like supermarkets! For TMM customers the good news is that Road Reef Riteway has reopened!!
Posted By: Manpot

Re: Taxi ripoff - 10/23/2018 10:01 PM

AC is a sponsor here and listed at the top of the page..great guy..
Posted By: Danalogy

Re: Taxi ripoff - 10/24/2018 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by Manpot
AC is a sponsor here and listed at the top of the page..great guy..

Thank you sir!
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline