TravelTalkOnline

Tips for bringing First timers

Posted By: Bgs

Tips for bringing First timers - 11/25/2018 08:07 PM

Hello,

We are are down sailing with our kids again this December.

But we are now discussing the next trip. This time, for the first time for us, not just our family but instead of kids, with 3 other couples for a total of 8 adults.
I have a couple of questions.

1) Do 8 adults fit on a 45 foot cat?
2) If yes, because the other couples have not sailed before, is April different Sailing that February (we are looking FEB or April 2020)? We have always gone in December when the winds and waves have been significant at times.
3) Taking first timers would you suggest one time of year over another year?

Thanks,

Brian
Posted By: Manpot

Re: Tips for bringing First timers - 11/25/2018 09:05 PM

If they are couples, ie sleep together, than a 45 foot cat would be fine. I think you'd be more comfortable in April..(cheaper too).
Posted By: ScurvyD

Re: Tips for bringing First timers - 11/25/2018 09:08 PM

For sure yes on a catamaran. We chartered a lagoon 42s it even has a birth for a captain if you need it. Here We went in June and the wind and seas I feel are more mild then. Had great experiences with this owner and the charter company as well. Good luck
Posted By: TackingAg

Re: Tips for bringing First timers - 11/25/2018 09:15 PM

No problem with the eight if they're comfortable sharing 4 cabins. A 45' cat with four heads (not 2) also makes it a bit more comfortable for newbies, but that's minor. I expect you have experience, but the main thing to consider is whether your crew of six newbies will be calm and helpful. Consider how much you're putting on yourself to keep everyone entertained and, more importantly, safe. I've taken my crew out on test sails at home before making the trip just to be sure they have the basics down before we get on the charter boat. But the boat itself is built for that many people+.

I've found that I also like the spring and early-summer months. Wind is still great and there is a bit more light in the day. Have fun!
Posted By: Lcrich

Re: Tips for bringing First timers - 11/26/2018 12:01 AM

We have chartered a Lagoon 450 many times with 8, 4 couples. Pros: the flybridge is huge and we can all sit or lay up there while sailing or motoring. The pit in front (we call it the HAPPY HOUR PIT) is so perfect to sit and watch people, sunsets, whatever. It’s just a very comfortable boat. We love that everyone their own bathroom AND an A/C control.
Cons: can’t think of one!
We like October because of the empty mooring fields. But April and May have been great too. Is there a bad time to go?
Posted By: Deepcut

Re: Tips for bringing First timers - 11/26/2018 03:01 AM

One suggestion is assume that they have NO idea of how to snorkel.

Assuming the 45 is a 4 cabin version, 4 couples fit nicely.
Posted By: warren460

Re: Tips for bringing First timers - 11/26/2018 03:01 AM

4 couples on a lagoon 450 is plenty of space
Posted By: maytrix

Re: Tips for bringing First timers - 11/26/2018 03:39 PM

Haven't been on the Lagoon 45.. If it is 4 cabins and 4 heads, then I'd say it would be great. 4 cabins and 2 heads? I'd personally look for a different boat. I'd suggest looking a range of boats anyway - they all have something different to offer with a wide variety of layouts.

And April would be a great time to go. We've been in a wide range of months and they've all been great. Jan/Feb/Mar when we've been was a little cooler - I actually like it on the warmer side where you just want to jump in the water to cool off - then again I also like having A/C on the boat smile Haven't been in April but we did go in May one year and it was a great time. Even got to see some of the poker run.
Posted By: WineFusion

Re: Tips for bringing First timers - 11/26/2018 11:53 PM

A 45' cat is plenty of room for 8 adults. I have taken even 10 adults on a 45' with plenty of room still. 2 heads is also generally plenty as well, while 4 heads is nice, it generally means smaller cabins and much smaller heads. As far as what time of year to go, it is really not much different besides the temperature at night. Even in July you will usually find plenty of wind so I think the time of year is a non subject unless you are intentionally trying to avoid crowds, which summer would be best if that is the case.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline