TravelTalkOnline

Provisioning the boat

Posted By: krafty81

Provisioning the boat - 11/28/2018 01:57 AM

I was surprised to hear from my charter company, Horizon, that I could not have food put on the boat from Riteway or SUP/Kayak prior to my charter start at noon on the 17th. They say the "boat won't be ready". Is that normal? I would like to get that stuff aboard early that day as one less thing to worry about.
Posted By: TackingAg

Re: Provisioning the boat - 11/28/2018 03:34 AM

Hi, Krafty. Have you chartered in the BVI's before?

Re: Provisioning the boat - 11/28/2018 05:20 AM

First time for me.
Posted By: GeorgeC1

Re: Provisioning the boat - 11/28/2018 12:28 PM

That is normal. They are busy cleaning and working on the boats until handover. Schedule your food delivery for 1PM.
G
Posted By: warren460

Re: Provisioning the boat - 11/28/2018 12:39 PM

If your food arrives early, it might cook sitting on the dock.

I expect it’s too late, however, If you did a sleep aboard, your objective is more easily attained and you should be off the dock well before noon with all food and personnel effects stored.
Posted By: maytrix

Re: Provisioning the boat - 11/28/2018 02:28 PM

As others have said, it is normal. Especially when it is an outside company delivering food. When it is the charter company as we've seen with the Moorings, it can be delivered earlier and has often been on board when we arrive.

When the boat is schedule for you - noon or 6pm or whatever time it might be, that is the first time you should expect any access by yourself or anyone else.

Re: Provisioning the boat - 11/28/2018 03:25 PM

OK thanks. They won't let us sleep aboard so looks like noon is the earliest.

Re: Provisioning the boat - 11/28/2018 03:40 PM

Welcome, Krafty. If it's your first time, you're going to be in for a real treat. Be ready to get hooked. I was only asking b/c my biggest advice will be to start your trip with nothing but patience. One scenario is that your boat is ready for you at the noon start. And then I assume you're staying at the dock that night after spending time settling aboard, getting provisions, boat check, chart briefing, and sundown). If the boat is ready by noon, then it's possible you could make a run to Cooper to stay on the ball if you got out early (with a backup plan if/when Cooper is full). But again be patient and don't try to rush off the dock if it's your first go-around.

But the more likely scenario is that your boat is not ready at noon. If it's coming in from another charter that morning (along with other boats), then it's likely going to take them time to turn it around and have it ready for you. I haven't charted with Horizon before. But one charter we had the boat ready to go when we got to the base ~4pm. On the last charter, we arrived about 2pm and got the boat around 8pm. It was a "disaster", but we played it cool and was compensated with a great dinner. Therefore, I would personally recommend having your provisions delivered in the late afternoon to give you some buffer. But that's just me.

Feel free to post some of your other expectations and plans for that first day and check-in if you want feedback from the board. Again, welcome and be prepared for great time!

Re: Provisioning the boat - 11/28/2018 03:43 PM

Also be patient with on the delivery - but diligent to make sure it's in the queue. You can call them that morning to make sure the delivery is scheduled for that day. 90% of the time Riteway is right on it. But there was another time when we waited until 10pm to get our stuff. Needless to say, the crew was getting antsy.

Re: Provisioning the boat - 11/29/2018 02:53 AM

Thanks all. Sounds like a real spectrum of possibilities. Regarding our charter, the boat arrives there at noon the day prior. We get there around the same time. So we will spend the nite in Nanny Cay. I do want to head out the next day shortly after noon. Just planning a short trip to Norman to spend the night there. Nothing more ambitious than that but, if they delay everything, I guess we would just stay pierside. That would be a bummer though.
Posted By: maytrix

Re: Provisioning the boat - 11/29/2018 03:29 AM

With the boat arriving the day before, which is what I'd expect for a noon start, you should expect to get on the boat at noon. I know I would. I also think getting off the dock that day is realistic as well. Assuming provisions get delivered in a timely manner.

Re: Provisioning the boat - 11/30/2018 01:12 AM

Thanks Matt. NIce rep at Horizon said that, if things are going well in the morning, they will call Riteway and have them deliver earlier. They just want to give themselves some time. Seems fair and it should work out. I was clear we want to get on our way and she said "you will!" Maybe she just wants to get rid of me. smile
Posted By: Manpot

Re: Provisioning the boat - 11/30/2018 01:21 AM

If you are chartering from Horizon there is a mini Riteway right there in Nanny Cay..
Posted By: MarkS

Re: Provisioning the boat - 12/13/2018 12:27 AM

My experience has been that Riteway usually delivers relatively close to the time you request (will some allowance for Island Time). Employees at the Charter Companies are usually very happy to help..If they said that they would call Riteway for you I would believe them. Having said that, I agree with the others here. Go in with patience and expect delays. If you don't expect too much you might bot be let down!
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline