TravelTalkOnline

US Dollars

Posted By: Bgs

US Dollars - 12/10/2018 11:12 PM

Hi,

We are putting together US$ for upcoming trip.
What denominations do people suggest?
Do places accept 50s?
Do places accept 100s?
Are there are denomitions accepted or not?

Thanks,

Brian
Posted By: captmoby

Re: US Dollars - 12/10/2018 11:26 PM

What all do you plan on paying cash for and what are you going to put on a card? That would be a big determining factor.
Posted By: Bgs

Re: US Dollars - 12/10/2018 11:30 PM

I would card everything if able.
But my previous experiences found that was not always possible.
The biggest swing is restaurants and grocery.
Not sure the current credit card acceptance.
Posted By: GlennA

Re: US Dollars - 12/10/2018 11:46 PM

Almost all groceries take cards as do most restaurants. (not AMEX) Main limitation is if Lime/Flow/Cable and Worthless are keeping their cans clean and strings tight. Capital One Venture card seems popular and doesn't charge a foreign transaction fee.
Posted By: agrimsrud

Re: US Dollars - 12/10/2018 11:58 PM

I mostly use cash. I hate getting the credit card bill after I get home - all the fun is over and now you have an unpleasant credit card bill.
And before someone says it.... yes.... traveling with a wad of cash has it's risks.

I bring hundreds and fifties as well as maybe a couple hundred in twenties. I don't expect to use the 100 dollar bills where I would get more than twenty dollars back in change, i.e., I'm only using the hundreds when the transaction calls for one. The fifties are not a problem but I'll still only use them when I get at most 20 bucks back in change. I have never had any problem with any vendor not taking the "larger" bills.
Posted By: JasonHelmbrecht

Re: US Dollars - 12/11/2018 12:53 AM

50s and 100s readily accepted. Cash is still very much appreciated as CC fees are much higher here than in the US.
Posted By: Manpot

Re: US Dollars - 12/11/2018 01:06 AM

I must say..I have had issues getting anything over a $20 bill changed many times. Another thing to consider..there was a spate of phony $100 bills coming to the BVI's, I heard from PR. I got caught with one given to me by a very prominent business on CGB. I tried to use it and it was revealed to be a fake and it cost me the $100 because I refused to pass it along..as the person who gave it to me suggested! Maybe that spate has gone but I use my Cap One card for everything I can and dollar bills for the few things I cannot
Posted By: warren460

Re: US Dollars - 12/11/2018 04:05 AM

We have never had issues with $50 and smaller.

Rarely used $100, but no issue there either.
Posted By: ndfaninnc

Re: US Dollars - 12/11/2018 03:04 PM

I am a cash only guy. Like agrimsrud said, I hate that bill AFTER the vacation. I predominately carry $100's and $20's. No issues at all.
Posted By: twii

Re: US Dollars - 12/11/2018 03:14 PM

We always carry cash, mainly to stay away from the foreign transaction fee. We are always land based in VG and the villa has a safe so I don't "carry" it all with me. I take 100's, 50's and some 20's and have never had a problem.
Posted By: NWA4Sail

Re: US Dollars - 12/11/2018 03:34 PM

There were a number of merchants that do not except the Discover Card.
Posted By: gordaguy2

Re: US Dollars - 12/11/2018 04:27 PM

I'd go for smaller denominations - also VG does not have a bank - so cash is appreciated on VG. cheers Brian
Posted By: Manpot

Re: US Dollars - 12/11/2018 04:34 PM

The Capital One Venture card is the only card I have/use. Two miles for every $1 spent.No foreign transaaction fee BS and you can use miles on any airline in the world..book your flight on any airline using the card wait for the charge to show up..call the card company and, if you the miles in the bank, they remove the charge an you still get you reward miles when you fly..
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline