TravelTalkOnline

Cell Phone

Posted By: Woodman

Cell Phone - 02/18/2019 04:23 PM

Ok, it's been a while since I have chartered, and I have a total newbie crew. I have checked with my service provider, and they do not provide coverage in the BVI.

What providers do?

Can I just buy some minutes, and put a different SIM in my Iphone 6? Or should I buy a cheap phone, and get a SIM there?

I am sure someone has figured this out, so please share your solution.

Thanks!
Posted By: RickG

Re: Cell Phone - 02/18/2019 04:32 PM

If your phone is unlocked you can get a Digicel or Lime sim. If you want to save time and a visit to one of the stores, you can order a LIME sim from https://www.mrsimcard.com/caribbean/s-limebvi.html.

It's worth calling ahead as some of the stores do run out of sim cards. We've seen that happen at the Virgin Gorda Digicel store.

Cheers, RickG
Posted By: Woodman

Re: Cell Phone - 02/18/2019 04:34 PM

Thanks for the response.

It is unlocked. I may want to get it in advance, and see if I can have calls forwarded to the Digicel or Lime SIM #.

Will that work?
Posted By: mainesailor

Re: Cell Phone - 02/18/2019 04:47 PM

Verizon has a number of programs.....more info here https://www.verizonwireless.com/solutions-and-services/international-travel/

I will probably a monthly plan @ $70.
Posted By: JasonHelmbrecht

Re: Cell Phone - 02/18/2019 09:04 PM

AT&T has great coverage and reasonable plans.
Posted By: bailau

Re: Cell Phone - 02/18/2019 11:05 PM

i am using wifi calling with Sprint on an android...
Posted By: jphart

Re: Cell Phone - 02/19/2019 12:24 AM

We have found that T-Mobile is best deal if using existing domestic service.
Posted By: NoelHall

Re: Cell Phone - 02/19/2019 02:15 AM

I have had an older Motorola flip phone unlocked with a CCT 'SIM' for years. I think I might have gone to their office to obtain the SIM card, and now I can reload online with a few bucks before each trip. It works fine for local calls, although I've never tried it for long distance or data. I have noticed the AT&T signal from St. Thomas seems to be stronger when in BVI this past December. Once I obtain the AT&T signal, I've got the 'works' under my plan at home in the States.
Posted By: agrimsrud

Re: Cell Phone - 02/19/2019 02:47 AM

I'll second getting a sim card from mrsimcard.com. Just plug it into your phone once you get there and you're good to go with a local phone number.
The other way to do it - and what we've been doing the last couple of years - is to use the international day pass program. Both Verizon and ATT have one. It's $10/day. Works well.
Posted By: ndfaninnc

Re: Cell Phone - 02/19/2019 01:01 PM

I am on Verizon. The $10 international plan works fine. But with a wife that enjoys social media, midway through the day the data slows down. It still works. Just takes longer to load a page. I have found streaming doesn't work at all or just barely. But for just using the phone it is perfect.
Posted By: NewfD90

Re: Cell Phone - 02/19/2019 06:22 PM

We use T-Mobile. Just get off the plane and it works and costs nothing extra. Yes, the data is slow(er), but it's plenty fast for all I care about doing while sailing: weather and streaming some tunes.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline