TravelTalkOnline

Water Taxi March 7th

Posted By: Slug

Water Taxi March 7th - 02/28/2019 04:32 PM

My wife and I are coming into STT March 7th on the 2:15 AA flight. Looking for someone to split Dolphin car/water taxi to Red Hook then West End ...

Thx, Slug
Posted By: Orange_Burst

Re: Water Taxi March 7th - 02/28/2019 06:34 PM

Just curious, why not take the ferry? You should have plenty of time to make the 4:15 ferry.
Posted By: bagsarepacked

Re: Water Taxi March 7th - 02/28/2019 06:52 PM

I agree with Orange Burst. You have enough time for the ferry.
Posted By: CestLaVie

Re: Water Taxi March 7th - 02/28/2019 07:00 PM

Clarification please from those of you who have used the STT/BVI water taxis. We just returned from our BVI venture a couple of weeks ago and had a party of six and considered using a water taxi instead of the ferry to return to STT for our flight home. A water taxi would have allowed us to have had a little more relaxed departure from the boat and marina instead of the early departure we needed to make to catch the morning ferry and the early afternoon ferry could have been an issue for our late afternoon flight if there were any delays in the ferry arrival in STT. As I researched the water taxi options, it appeared as though each of the taxi providers charge a per person fee for the ride instead of a flat rate for the boat. Realizing some taxis build in the cost of some of the departure/arrival fees, and assuming that my understanding of a per person rate is correct, not a boat rate, not sure what the advantage is of trying to get others to "split the cost."

I certainly understand that a flat rate for a taxi could be beneficial for both scheduling issues and having a larger party vs. the per person ferry charge. If, on the other hand, the water taxis do indeed charge per person, what is the advantage other than scheduling? Nothing critical of the OP in this thread, just trying to make sure we have not missed some golden opportunity on past trips.
Posted By: CestLaVie

Re: Water Taxi March 7th - 02/28/2019 07:00 PM

Clarification please from those of you who have used the STT/BVI water taxis. We just returned from our BVI venture a couple of weeks ago and had a party of six and considered using a water taxi instead of the ferry to return to STT for our flight home. A water taxi would have allowed us to have had a little more relaxed departure from the boat and marina instead of the early departure we needed to make to catch the morning ferry and the early afternoon ferry could have been an issue for our late afternoon flight if there were any delays in the ferry arrival in STT. As I researched the water taxi options, it appeared as though each of the taxi providers charge a per person fee for the ride instead of a flat rate for the boat. Realizing some taxis build in the cost of some of the departure/arrival fees, and assuming that my understanding of a per person rate is correct, not a boat rate, not sure what the advantage is of trying to get others to "split the cost."

I certainly understand that a flat rate for a taxi could be beneficial for both scheduling issues and having a larger party vs. the per person ferry charge. If, on the other hand, the water taxis do indeed charge per person, what is the advantage other than scheduling? Nothing critical of the OP in this thread, just trying to make sure we have not missed some golden opportunity on past trips.

Re: Water Taxi March 7th - 02/28/2019 09:37 PM

Bagsarepacked and Orange Burst, I appreciate the heads up and confirmation on the 4:15 ferry. I just felt it would be worth the extra $$ to get going as soon as we get off the plane as opposed to waiting at CA - at least an hour if flight is on time - to take the 4:15. Also like the idea of checking through West End as opposed to waiting in long line for C&I in Road Town.
I know, there are worse places to pass by an hour or so than the Petite Pump smile

Re: Water Taxi March 7th - 02/28/2019 09:46 PM

CestLaVie, I have only checked Dolphin to this point. They become a per person rate after you reach the minimum. In our case we are two people paying the minimum $485 (or 242.50 p/p) one way. If I'm not mistaken $485 would cover up to 8 people.
Posted By: JasonHelmbrecht

Re: Water Taxi March 7th - 02/28/2019 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by Slug
Bagsarepacked and Orange Burst, I appreciate the heads up and confirmation on the 4:15 ferry. I just felt it would be worth the extra $$ to get going as soon as we get off the plane as opposed to waiting at CA - at least an hour if flight is on time - to take the 4:15. Also like the idea of checking through West End as opposed to waiting in long line for C&I in Road Town.
I know, there are worse places to pass by an hour or so than the Petite Pump smile

FYI - there's also a 3:30 ferry with Smith's and a 4pm with Native Son. By the time you taxi all the way to Red Hook, you wouldn't save much time. The West End drop would be nice though!! Especially not having a line at immigration.

Re: Water Taxi March 7th - 02/28/2019 09:58 PM

Didn't realize there's a 3:30 with Smith's, that certainly makes it a bit better .. thx for the fyi.
Posted By: Catdancer

Re: Water Taxi March 7th - 03/04/2019 03:39 PM

Just keep in mind that the 3:30 Smith's Ferry goes to West End to drop off people and goods as well as pick up more people and then is scheduled to arrive in Road Town at 4:40. Unless it's delayed or running late.
Posted By: RatmansWife

Re: Water Taxi March 7th - 03/04/2019 03:59 PM

Did Smith’s confirm that they stop in West End? As far as I know, since Irma, only the Jost ferries go to West End. All the USVI ferries to Tortola go to Road Town.
Posted By: Orange_Burst

Re: Water Taxi March 7th - 03/04/2019 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by Catdancer
Just keep in mind that the 3:30 Smith's Ferry goes to West End to drop off people and goods as well as pick up more people and then is scheduled to arrive in Road Town at 4:40. Unless it's delayed or running late.

Since Irma, the ferry's do not stop in the West End. All ferries from St. Thomas go directly to Road Town
Posted By: Manpot

Re: Water Taxi March 7th - 03/04/2019 06:57 PM

No ferries to West End..charter boats..yes..ferries No ..they go to Road Town only.
Posted By: mriley4955

Re: Water Taxi March 7th - 06/17/2019 04:09 PM

Has anyone flown into STT and done a private charter to West End recently? I'm in the planning stages and am looking at this as an option. All my past trips have done the ferry from STT CA to West End, but it seems to be a challenge lately to get an afternoon ferry.

Was planning to fly AA CLT - STT but their only non-stop arrives rather late (3:15 pm).
Just need some real-time recent advice.

Thanks,
Posted By: JasonHelmbrecht

Re: Water Taxi March 7th - 06/17/2019 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by mriley4955
Has anyone flown into STT and done a private charter to West End recently? I'm in the planning stages and am looking at this as an option. All my past trips have done the ferry from STT CA to West End, but it seems to be a challenge lately to get an afternoon ferry.

Was planning to fly AA CLT - STT but their only non-stop arrives rather late (3:15 pm).
Just need some real-time recent advice.

Thanks,

You should have plenty of time to get on the 4:15 ferry from CA if your water taxi doesn't work out.
Posted By: ndfaninnc

Re: Water Taxi March 7th - 06/18/2019 12:18 PM

I agree with Jason. Another option is the 4pm flight from STT to EIS via ViAirlink. You have plenty of time to make that flight.

Re: Water Taxi March 7th - 06/18/2019 01:17 PM

I never thought about a STT-EIS flight. That's a definite possibility. Kinda cool that I'm rated to fly every aircraft in their fleet LOL. Anyone know what a OW ticket is? Can't find it on Google Flights or their website.

Re: Water Taxi March 7th - 06/18/2019 01:20 PM

Disregard the $ info. I found it. Seems to be about t$150 each way.
Posted By: ndfaninnc

Re: Water Taxi March 7th - 06/19/2019 12:28 PM

Not much more than a ferry. The flight is beautiful. I've never experienced a flight cancellation and sometimes my wife and I are the only ones on the flight.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline