TravelTalkOnline

Any Non-NPT Balls at Privateer Bay - Norman Island?

Posted By: MrMGtd

Any Non-NPT Balls at Privateer Bay - Norman Island? - 03/19/2019 08:58 PM

Been searching TTOL and the Net in general to get some definitive answers but have only gotten differing reports/info.
I've read multiple reports from Yes with 4 or 10 or ? balls (white with blue strip, someone comes around from the Bight to collect) to No, daytime anchoring only to can anchor overnight but is difficult as is rocky (without mention of mooring balls).

And no, I am aware of and do not mean the 3-5 NPT balls directly off the Caves.
I mean other non-NPT balls, non-dive boat balls.
Also aware of the need for North or East winds as South, Southeast winds will be rolly.

My question (hopefully from someone who has been there post-Irma) is;

"Are there overnight mooring balls" available at Privateer Bay, south of the Caves off Norman Island?"

If Yes, How many?, Who collects? Any idea if Moor-Secure maintained?

Thanks in advance
Randy
Posted By: henryv

Re: Any Non-NPT Balls at Privateer Bay - Norman Island? - 03/19/2019 09:48 PM

There are half a dozen or so balls in Privateer Bay operated by the same people as the Bight so maintrnance appears to be fine. Privateer is a nice quiet bay with less wind than the Bight. There is some interesting snorkelling along the western half of the bay.
Posted By: SailOrion

Re: Any Non-NPT Balls at Privateer Bay - Norman Island? - 03/19/2019 11:14 PM

Details here ... https://www.bvimariner.com/anchorages/norman-island-anchorages/norman-island-privateer-bay/

We were there January 13th and only 4 of the moorings were taken for the evening.

Thanks - Mark (www.sail-orion.com)
Posted By: ggffrr11

Re: Any Non-NPT Balls at Privateer Bay - Norman Island? - 03/19/2019 11:29 PM

We have anchored there on the next ledge further out from the moorings balls about 3/4 of the way down the beach to the South from the caves. Excellent holding and a peaceful night.
Posted By: MrMGtd

Re: Any Non-NPT Balls at Privateer Bay - Norman Island? - 03/20/2019 01:35 PM

Thanks all. Yes, I'd seen the bvimariner page. May get it a try this year for something different.
R
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline