TravelTalkOnline

Fuel costs?

Posted By: OldRed

Fuel costs? - 04/03/2019 02:31 AM

We're in the final stages before flying down for our charter 4/14. I'm trying to give the crew last minute budget items and cannot remember what we paid for diesel for ten days sailing a 45' cat six years ago. Ort if it would be even close to accurate today. Anyone know what they paid for diesel for a 45'-48' cat, sailing as much as possible for seven days and running the genset all night for AC? I'm guessed and budgeted about $400...
Posted By: warren460

Re: Fuel costs? - 04/03/2019 04:46 AM

Sounds like a reasonable estimate
Posted By: mfringsley

Re: Fuel costs? - 04/03/2019 11:39 AM

Your right on the money...it's usually exactly that for 10 days when we go on a 45' lagoon.
Posted By: bailau

Re: Fuel costs? - 04/03/2019 12:21 PM

For comparison purposes 7 days on 52' Powercat is $1,000 for fuel
Posted By: steve74

Re: Fuel costs? - 04/03/2019 12:33 PM

On a 43 power cat from Moorings, cruising at about 11 knots, we typically use about $650 for a 13 day charter. This includes running the generator at night. Moorings typically has clean hulls, which was not the case with another power cat company some years back. This, along with not being in a hurry obviously saves money.
Posted By: pk5352

Re: Fuel costs? - 04/03/2019 02:11 PM

Just back from 12 days with Voyage, on a 48. Mostly under sail, but some motor sailing. Gen use every night for AC. Final Diesel and Dinghy combined was $275.
Posted By: bailau

Re: Fuel costs? - 04/03/2019 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by steve74
On a 43 power cat from Moorings, cruising at about 11 knots, we typically use about $650 for a 13 day charter. This includes running the generator at night. Moorings typically has clean hulls, which was not the case with another power cat company some years back. This, along with not being in a hurry obviously saves money.

Impressive...the "not being in a hurry" part does save a lot of money. Moorings as well. Although I meander up here on my boat or on a sail down there I tend to get where I am going in short order and sit.
Posted By: jagmansr

Re: Fuel costs? - 04/03/2019 04:13 PM

We were down in March sailed our 42 Leopard Island Fun mostly without engines. No need for air conditioning and night we didn't even need to use the fans. Used a total of 10 gallons if fuel. Total bill around $47.
Posted By: 706jim

Re: Fuel costs? - 04/03/2019 04:14 PM

My fuel cost estimate is fairly old. We did the typical loop including Anegada on a 474 PC from Moorings about 5 years ago. Fuel cost at that time was about $320 for 10 nights including generator use. However, we cruised at 8 to 9 knots at all times. I'm from Thunder Bay (the city) located on the shores of Thunder Bay (the lake) on Lake Superior.

The entire group of BVI could fit into Thunder Bay. So we figured with such short distances, what's the rush?

Anyway, fuel cost will be one of the least expenses you will encounter chartering when you consider the other costs of flights, provisioning, booze (assuming you drink) and the boat rental.
Posted By: OldRed

Re: Fuel costs? - 04/03/2019 11:49 PM

Originally Posted by pk5352
Just back from 12 days with Voyage, on a 48. Mostly under sail, but some motor sailing. Gen use every night for AC. Final Diesel and Dinghy combined was $275.

Which boat were you on? We have Let It Go. Which cabin was closest to the genset? And was it particularly loud there? We had a 440 six years ago and the starboard bow was closest and they couldn't get AC in there. I'd love to know your impressions of the boat. Ice and water maker function well? Any issues?
Posted By: pk5352

Re: Fuel costs? - 04/04/2019 02:52 AM

OldRed- We were on Endless Summer. New Boat.. Post-Irma 48. I am a HUGE fan of Voyage boats in general. Think the 48s are a big improvement on what the 44 was. Genset back by Aft Starboard cabin, which was our cabin. A bit loud, but not bad. Personally, I have always found the hum of an engine/genny to be oddly soothing as long as its consistent, so no problems there. My wife is much more sensitive to the noise and also had no complaint. AC was great throughout, if not a bit cool in saloon, but consistent through 4 sleeping cabins. Water maker was terrific. Icemaker was mostly ok. A few issues that were probably user issues. In general, the boat performed and sailed great. Love Voyage!
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline