Just a heads up:

5/26 - Jost
5/27 - Jost
5/28- Peter
5/29- Leverick
5/30- Leverick
5/31- Anegada
6/1- Spanish Town

.... Glad we will be missing your MIT Group!!!! ...lol...
Fun Group but too many Boats competing for Moorings...
have phun....
Posted By: captdennyj

Re: MIT 2019 - 04/23/2019 01:36 PM

MIT,

a few years back we were moored off BEYC, Gorda Sound when the MIT fleet arrived. Big time !

Many boat loads of sea going condo maximal catamarans, loud underage party downers, and hoards of 'em.

Shortly after they arrived, We went ashore to the bar, and they were just getting kicked out of the bar for not being 21.

From our planned itinerary we should miss them, and that is just fine.

On the other side of that coin, when i was in College, we were probably more on the wilder, side, than MIT,
yep, made Animal House look like light weights.

But those days for us are long, long gone.

But never forgotten.

You all have a grand time, we will toast to you from different anchorages, and remember our great times,
and wonder how we got thru all that alive.

To ya MIT lads, and lasses the cocktail flag is flying..

Posted By: GeorgeC1

Re: MIT 2019 - 04/23/2019 02:03 PM

They actually congregate the boats in specific anchorages. As long as you avoid the one they are in it frees up Moorings at the others.
Posted By: JasonHelmbrecht

Re: MIT 2019 - 04/23/2019 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by captdennyj

Many boat loads of sea going condo maximal catamarans, loud underage party downers, and hoards of 'em.

Shortly after they arrived, We went ashore to the bar, and they were just getting kicked out of the bar for not being 21.

I think you are mistaken. The MIT group that sails in May are graduates from the Sloan School of Business. That means they have graduated undergrad at 21, most have work 2-4 years, and they've completed 2 years of post-graduate education. FAR from underage.

Also, what bar have you been to in the BVI that kicks people out for not being 21. To begin with, the drinking age is not 21 and the general rule there is if you have cash in hand and are tall enough to place it on the bar, you will get whatever you order.

Spreading false rumors is not helping anyone.
Posted By: knitsoftwear

Re: MIT 2019 - 04/23/2019 04:49 PM

Spicy
Posted By: warren460

Re: MIT 2019 - 04/23/2019 05:04 PM

Jason, good for you.
Posted By: Manpot

Re: MIT 2019 - 04/23/2019 06:14 PM

Indeed a tall 3 year old can get a beer in the BVI's.
Posted By: sbrownell

Re: MIT 2019 - 04/23/2019 08:45 PM

We followed the TIM boats around a few years back. (yes I said TIM - sometimes the flags were backwards or we were, not sure which). They were a fun group of young adults ranging in age from 25-32. The last night of our trip they overtook the Willie T. both my kids (ages 23 and 25) decided that they would pass on going there as it was a super crazy night with them all dressed up in lights and stuff. Saw them on the ferry the next day headed to airport, some hadn't slept the whole night. We were able to avoid the crowds most of the trip until the last night, but don't be afraid, they are smart and fun people to engage with when you do come across them.

Re: MIT 2019 - 04/23/2019 11:02 PM

They will overload the ferry boats. I have seen people with advanced paid reservations refused boarding due to overcrowding . If you are planning on leaving tortola the same time as them, Either get to the ferry very early or plan on a water taxi.
Posted By: DesertWinds

Re: MIT 2019 - 04/24/2019 04:09 AM

Does anybody have an idea how many boats are in the MIT this year? Do they fill up the anchorages and restaurants? We board our charter at DYC on May 25th. When they moved the base to Scrub island I thought this is our chance to get off the usual Sat/Sun start clockwise rotation. We're planning on CBG the first night then Jost, Peter, Cooper, Leverick, Anegada. We have 12 in our crew so we can make our own party. Now it appears we're going to overlap with the MIT crew at three locations. I'm not really concerned about the partying as we'll have 8 mid-twenty year olds. My concern is anchoring/mooring and dinner seating availability. Any additional info would be appreciated. Wondering if we should tweak our itinerary.

Re: MIT 2019 - 04/24/2019 12:41 PM

Whoops. I intended to say our usual Counter-clockwise rotation. Usually out of Roadtown.
Posted By: captdennyj

Re: MIT 2019 - 04/26/2019 11:44 PM

My apologies...!!!I

There was no intent to spread false hoods.....very sorry about that.

This is what we witnessed, and this is fact..

We were already on a mooring at BEYC, when an entire huge fleet of partying catamarans , flying the MIT FLAGS, docked and picked up moorings. The party was on.

OK, we like partying and we dinked ashore very shortly after the MIT crews had already gone ashore. They were a good looking, fit, and energy filled , positive , good time group..

We walked up to the entrance of the bar, and the whole pack of them were coming out of the bar en masse, no drinks in hand, They looked mighty young to me, but perhaps they all do at my age..

Upon the fleet arriving, one of their boats, tied side to was blasting extremely loud music, out over the mooring field, and shouting and the fleet appeared to be boat loads of college kids having a grand time.
MIT is college, correct ? I did not see any of their boats flying THE SLOAN SCHOOL OF BUSINESS FLAGS, Every of their boats displayed the MIT flags.

Regardless, pre or post graduate, the party time was on, and the BEYC area was totally inundated with MIT crews. No worries, their time to hoot it up,

We, had a drink, and dinked back to our boat, and easily dropped off at BEYC, and re- moored over at Saba Rock, this was pre Irma. Saba was grand, and dinner was great. Neat evening.

We do not begrudge anyone having a good time, and I even said that if you happen to read my entire post .

However, it appears that I was wrong about their ages , and there must have been another reason for them having to immediately leave the bar.

Therefore, AN HONEST TOAST AND APOLOGIES TO THE MIT GRADS AND CONGRATULATIONS ON BEGINNING THEIR SUCCESSFUL CAREERS.

And, in a few weeks, if we run across them at the Willy T, or Canegarden Bay, Erica and I will toast them in person, and tell them the above tale . Actually, they will probably
take it as a positive, since we thought they were so young.

Positive attitudes are a good thing,

Posted By: sail445

Re: MIT 2019 - 04/27/2019 12:37 AM

Keep positive and make sure you don’t bore them πŸ˜ŽπŸ‘
Posted By: dayhiker

Re: MIT 2019 - 04/27/2019 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by sbrownell
We followed the TIM boats around a few years back. (yes I said TIM - sometimes the flags were backwards or we were, not sure which). They were a fun group of young adults ranging in age from 25-32. The last night of our trip they overtook the Willie T. both my kids (ages 23 and 25) decided that they would pass on going there as it was a super crazy night with them all dressed up in lights and stuff. Saw them on the ferry the next day headed to airport, some hadn't slept the whole night. We were able to avoid the crowds most of the trip until the last night, but don't be afraid, they are smart and fun people to engage with when you do come across them.

The Sloan school is the MIT MBA program, meaning these are "kids" who have just completed a 3 year MBA program putting them in the 25+ age group.
Posted By: NCSailor

Re: MIT 2019 - 04/27/2019 07:21 PM

One of my best charters was post law school graduation in 1990 with 7 classmates. That was a slower time in the BVI and we were legends for 10 days with our partying. We kept running into the same groups and they laughed and bought us drinks each time. If the MIT crowd is not to your taste avoiding them is easy.

Re: MIT 2019 - 04/29/2019 05:56 AM

RJC86, Any insight on numbers (boats/people) for the MIT this year? It appears a couple of their stops over lap with ours and I'm wondering if I should tweak our schedule. Thanks.
Posted By: RJC86

Re: MIT 2019 - 04/29/2019 05:38 PM

about 20 catamarans and 200+ people

Re: MIT 2019 - 04/29/2019 09:53 PM

Yikes. The situation is exacerbated by the post-Irma conditions. Without BEYC and Saba Rock open, Leverick could get quite busy. And, allowing for other random boats, I'm wondering how Great Harbour on Peter accommodates 25 to 30 boats or more.
Looks like we'll have a Plan B in our hip pocket. Thanks for the info.
Posted By: Christo

Re: MIT 2019 - 05/05/2019 08:36 AM

Hi RJC86

Many thanks for the info! I've been searching for their itinerary for a while now!

Can I ask your source of info? Would be handy for future years!

Also do you know if the itinerary is set in stone or could the route / dates shift...

Re: MIT 2019 - 05/07/2019 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by Christo

Hi RJC86

Many thanks for the info! I've been searching for their itinerary for a while now!

Can I ask your source of info? Would be handy for future years!

Also do you know if the itinerary is set in stone or could the route / dates shift...

Source is from the group. The plan changes each year, so I would not bet on the itinerary being the same in future years. At this point the route is pretty set in stone. There are reservations / dinners provided each night, so I doubt anything will change at this point.
Posted By: Christo

Re: MIT 2019 - 05/07/2019 07:17 PM

Thanks RJC86 that helps a lot!

Not that we have anything against them! We have always had good fun with them when paths have crossed in previous years. But handy to know in advance to manage our mooring/anchoring expectations in certain bays and also things like hiring a vehicle on Anegada etc may be trickier when they are around.

7 days to go...

Re: MIT 2019 - 05/07/2019 07:20 PM

totally understand! figure giving everyone a little heads up would be appreciated.

Re: MIT 2019 - 05/07/2019 10:01 PM

It's very helpful information.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline