TravelTalkOnline

Taking Food INTO BVI

Posted By: leeguice

Taking Food INTO BVI - 05/09/2019 04:26 PM

What are the current restrictions on food items you can take into the BVI?

THANKS

PS Specifically cheese
Posted By: steve74

Re: Taking Food INTO BVI - 05/09/2019 10:20 PM

We have never had an issue taking cheese.
Posted By: BVIBum

Re: Taking Food INTO BVI - 05/10/2019 12:02 AM

No fruits and veggies, otherwise the rest should be okay. We are headed down in a week and have a cooler bag with meats and prepackaged cheeses. Have not had any issues in the past. We also put packaged dry goods and snacks in with our clothes.
Posted By: SailinBuddysBoat

Re: Taking Food INTO BVI - 05/10/2019 01:45 PM

We are heading down as well but through Antigua. Does anyone have any experience going through their customs, claiming that we are in-transit. I have reached out to their customs department but no answer.
Posted By: gordaguy2

Re: Taking Food INTO BVI - 05/10/2019 03:01 PM

Agree with BVIbum - never had a problem with meats and cheeses - meat frozen and cheese well packed in paper and zip lock bags
Posted By: FLJim

Re: Taking Food INTO BVI - 05/10/2019 03:59 PM

Don't know about Antigua, but we've been through Anguila, St Martin, St Maarten, St Barts, Saba, ST Kitts & Nevis - and none of them cared about food at all. If they asked at all, "Ship's stores" was the magic answer. Some of them wanted to know how much alcohol we had.
Posted By: calsail

Re: Taking Food INTO BVI - 05/11/2019 06:04 PM

Really you can buy just about anything you might want in the BVI. So much easier than packing.
Posted By: NCSailor

Re: Taking Food INTO BVI - 05/11/2019 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by calsail
Really you can buy just about anything you might want in the BVI. So much easier than packing.

I agree. Not worth the hassle. 30 years ago maybe. Now the stores are up to date with anything you reasonably need on vacation.
Posted By: Manpot

Re: Taking Food INTO BVI - 05/12/2019 04:22 AM

Bingo..we are not a third world country ( all the time) anymore.But some folks seem determined to bring food in ..crazy to me..I use my luggage for car parts and bring cash for cheese and flesh on island..actually a lot of the wine in the BVI's is cheaper than Sonoma in the heart of the Wine Country...but each to his/her own..
Posted By: warren460

Re: Taking Food INTO BVI - 05/12/2019 10:00 AM

We bring down steak, burgers, corned and smoked salmon. Better product available at home. Everything else is available locally.
Posted By: RickinAtlanta

Re: Taking Food INTO BVI - 05/12/2019 02:57 PM

Beating the proverbial "dead horse".
Posted By: RatmansWife

Re: Taking Food INTO BVI - 05/12/2019 04:05 PM

When we lived in Europe, I would scoot over to France, buy whole cheeses, pack them up and bring them to the BVI. Now we buy the same things at the French deli. We like to support local businesses.
Posted By: CGB

Re: Taking Food INTO BVI - 05/12/2019 08:49 PM

LOL.. one time, while resident... I remember bringing down SaranWarp and Aluminum foil.
The Customs fella... seemed to "understand" the need for SaranWrap... but looked at me and asked... "You brought Foil???"
((foil being a basic island "staple" once upon a time...))
Sometimes... there's simply no rational answer.....
perhaps: "Had empty space in the luggage...(???)"
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline