TravelTalkOnline

Long Bay/Diamond Cay Mooring Advice

Posted By: bailau

Long Bay/Diamond Cay Mooring Advice - 05/10/2019 10:43 AM

It looks as though we are going to have a north swell next week and I was planning on going to CGB from White Bay around 330 pm Monday. Looking to divert to Long Bay yet haven't been there since pre-Irma.

any info on mooring availability and anchoring tips?

Thanks in advance
Posted By: tradewinds

Re: Long Bay/Diamond Cay Mooring Advice - 05/10/2019 01:35 PM

Which Long Bay are you talking about?

Re: Long Bay/Diamond Cay Mooring Advice - 05/10/2019 01:44 PM

Sorry Diamond Cay JVD
Posted By: captdennyj

Re: Long Bay/Diamond Cay Mooring Advice - 05/10/2019 01:56 PM

Rob

Thanks for the scoop on that Northerly swell. Appears to be generated by low pressure area way up to the north . I cannot seem to find any definitive info on the size of the swell. , except guesses at a couple feet or less..
Would appreciate any info you have on that.

We have also been looking at the East to S.E. winds as well. only about 10 to 15 mph , Good sailing .

Last trip , pre Irma, all of Jost was totally open to the strong E winds, and wind waves . Very uncomfortable.
After cruising thru the anchorages, we passed and headed over to Cane Garden. Calm in the lee of the mountain.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This trip for Jost, we are going to try Diamond Cay, and mooring there or near the B- line. Should be protected from the swells by the reefs between Jost and Little Jost, and between Litttle Jost and Green Cay.

Other plan, if that is not tenable, alternate plan for Jost is Little Harbor , well up at Abes.
We can taxi to white bay or the Taboo at Diamond Cay, or maybe walk. Scoop is, Abe's has da kine for lobster.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We are limited as to the shallower anchorages due to our monster 6.5 ft. draft. No Anegada, no White Bay at Jost.

Keeping the good luck charm attitude, that everything will be just fine for you all, and others who will be there at this time. .

On the big iron, tomorrow evening ( Sat ) . Boat on the 15th .

Hope our wakes will cross.

Best to you and your crew

Denny and Erica

Posted By: tradewinds

Re: Long Bay/Diamond Cay Mooring Advice - 05/10/2019 02:28 PM

There are about 20 mooring balls between Diamond Cay and the newer ones in front of B-Line. If you need to anchor, there's good holding on the North side of Diamond Cay in about 15 feet of water and also in front of the B-Line.

Re: Long Bay/Diamond Cay Mooring Advice - 05/10/2019 02:41 PM

Tradewinds-

Thanks my friend...

Denny-

possibly 4 feet

https://marine.weather.gov/MapClick.php?zoneid=amz715#.XNWM_I5KiUl
Posted By: captdennyj

Re: Long Bay/Diamond Cay Mooring Advice - 05/10/2019 03:47 PM

Thanks,

Bailau

4 ft, is a pretty good swell , rolling into an anchorage.

I found another current report, and our sked, we are a a few days after you when we get up to Jost. The forecast is for the swell to decrease down significantly..

But, that is all up to mother ocean, and thanks to your info, we will be keeping a close eye on the conditions.
Posted By: NewfD90

Re: Long Bay/Diamond Cay Mooring Advice - 05/10/2019 03:47 PM

Here's what I use. Good iPad app to boot:

Windy

https://www.windy.com/18.718/-64.391/waves?2019-05-16-00,18.655,-64.391,11,m:ecmaenP
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline