TravelTalkOnline

Painkiller Mix—OCD

Posted By: Guineaman

Painkiller Mix—OCD - 05/11/2019 09:11 PM

I’m an old fool with OCD (obsessive-compulsive disorder). I was making a batch of Painkiller mixer today, and I hit a wall. I am flummoxed.

For YEARS, I’ve followed the 4-1-1 recipe. No problem in the past. But today I was making a batch, and it turned out that when you buy pineapple juice and orange juice, you get the juices in fluid oz. containers. OK? So far so good.

But … when you buy a can of Coco Lopez, I noticed you get 15 ounces BY NET WEIGHT! So, when you do the 4-1-1 ratio thingy, how do you handle the Coco Lopez?

By my measurement, one 15 oz. (by weight) can of Coco Lopez is roughly equivalent to 12 fluid oz. of liquid. So—would one use one can of Coco Lopez (≈12 fl. oz.), 12 oz. of OJ, and 48 oz. of pineapple juice?? OR one can of Coco Lopez (15 oz. net weight), 15 oz. OJ, and 60 oz. pineapple juice. The world wants to know.

See I told you I had OCD.
Posted By: Christo

Re: Painkiller Mix—OCD - 05/11/2019 09:36 PM

Good question.

And more importantly, how fine should I grate the nutmeg? My grater is set to a 520 micron particle size. Is this too big? Too small? Help.
Posted By: bailau

Re: Painkiller Mix—OCD - 05/11/2019 09:40 PM

I will play as I finish packing for tomorrow....

So you need to know the density of Cream of Coconut which is about 10.16 oz per US cup (I had to look that up). A cup is 8 oz as you know.

Density = mass/volume, therefore volume = mass/density

Volume = 8/10.16 = .8...this confirms your 15 oz weight = 12 fluid ounces

You are measuring the other 2 items by fluid ounces so my vote is to go with 12, 12, 48 fluid for all ingredients

Having said that I usually mix the mixers and then adjust by taste...:)

Your OCD friend....
Posted By: DanS

Re: Painkiller Mix—OCD - 05/11/2019 10:39 PM

Be careful. There's a mix of metric and US units in this thread. That led to disaster for the Mars Climate Orbiter (link here).

It's hard for me to contribute much to the BVI discussions, as our last charter was over two years ago. So I might as well chime in on the nerdy stuff. grin

Dan cheers
Posted By: mcevog

Re: Painkiller Mix—OCD - 05/11/2019 11:24 PM

Thats a very good point... it also was a causal factor in the Gimli Glider incident in Canada in 1983. These things need to be carefully checked. They can have dire consequences! (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gimli_Glider)
Posted By: SoggyDollarScott

Re: Painkiller Mix—OCD - 05/12/2019 04:00 AM

Hey....... Einstein !! How bout’ you bump that up to 4-2-1-1 and not give damn about your OCD ??
Posted By: RacerRon

Re: Painkiller Mix—OCD - 05/12/2019 12:43 PM

I have found (after much experimentation) that about 1/3 of the way through the second painkiller, my OCD drops by 9/10s! smile
Posted By: SonOfTheSea

Re: Painkiller Mix—OCD - 05/12/2019 02:25 PM

I've made a couple of my favorite batches using a pitcher with an entire 15oz can of Coco Lopez, 1.5 quarts pineapple juice, and ¾ quart OJ. Awesome creamy consistency and a great balance of each flavor. Mix a glass with 2-3oz Pussers and that juice mix, nutmeg that badboy, and you got yourself a great painkiller!
Posted By: phillygirl7

Re: Painkiller Mix—OCD - 05/12/2019 09:57 PM

I have a Pusser's Landing Painkiller coffee cup I use in my office to hold my pens and highlighters. To make just 1, here is the recipe:

Painkiller recipes comes in 3 strengths:

2, 3, or 4 oz Pusser's Navy Rum
4 oz pineapple juice
1 oz cream of coconut
1 oz orange juice

Serve on the rocks. Stir and grate fresh nutmeg on top.
Posted By: sail445

Re: Painkiller Mix—OCD - 05/12/2019 10:11 PM

Originally Posted by Christo
Good question.

And more importantly, how fine should I grate the nutmeg? My grater is set to a 520 micron particle size. Is this too big? Too small? Help.

The proper size is what comes out of the small chromed nutmeg grater that’s sold with the whole nut Nutmeg in Caribbean souvenir shops

Re: Painkiller Mix—OCD - 05/12/2019 10:23 PM

Ok, so this shows the measurements are in FLUID ounces. So ...

1 15 oz. can of Coco Lopez = 12 fl oz.
12 fl. oz. of OJ
48 fl oz. pineapple juice.

Done deal. Book ‘em Dano!

Re: Painkiller Mix—OCD - 05/12/2019 10:27 PM

Yo Christo - -

Is there an hyphen (a hyphen?) between anal and retentive? The world wants to know.

Re: Painkiller Mix—OCD - 05/12/2019 10:36 PM

I think the sarcastic tone of my post / lighthearted jab at the OP may have been missed...! Nevertheless I do appreciate the helpful response from Sail445 all the same.

The real irony is that I don't even like nutmeg...

P.s. no to the hyphen when used as a noun. For example Guineaman is an anal retentive when it comes to painkiller recipes. If used as an adjective however then you must use a hyphen. For example: Christo is an anal-retentive nutmeg-hater who enjoys sarcasm! cheers

Posted By: Thistle

Re: Painkiller Mix—OCD - 05/13/2019 12:47 PM

I"m wondering if you're really serious? If so, you're way over thinking this! It's a ratio by volume, not number of ounces.

Use the Coco Lopez can as your measure, the ratio remains the same.......

1 can of Coco Lopez
1 can of OJ
4 cans of Pineapple juice
as much Rum as you like

Re: Painkiller Mix—OCD - 05/13/2019 12:58 PM

Ratio by volume. I'm happy now. Goodnight moon.
Posted By: Woodman

Re: Painkiller Mix—OCD - 05/13/2019 02:57 PM

Like he said...

"Use the Coco Lopez can as your measure, the ratio remains the same.......

1 can of Coco Lopez
1 can of OJ
4 cans of Pineapple juice
as much Rum as you like"
Posted By: Schwendy

Re: Painkiller Mix—OCD - 05/14/2019 09:05 PM

When you get to Soggy Dollar you'll realize whatever you made was better than theirs anyway. Personally, I think they have gone downhill and prefer Gertrude's painkiller's better. But, I still have a traditional PK or 10 at Soggy Dollar too.

Re: Painkiller Mix—OCD - 05/14/2019 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by Schwendy
When you get to Soggy Dollar you'll realize whatever you made was better than theirs anyway. Personally, I think they have gone downhill and prefer Gertrude's painkiller's better. But, I still have a traditional PK or 10 at Soggy Dollar too.

100% agree!
Posted By: hotdogman

Re: Painkiller Mix—OCD - 05/19/2019 01:09 AM

The recipe card that came with my Soggy Dollar Rum last winter indicates that the Original Soggy Dollar Painkiller is made with 2 oz orange juice, 1 oz pineapple juice, 1 oz Coco Lopez and 2 oz rum. I thought it was an error but the bartender confirmed this when I talked to him last month. I made a batch like this and it tasted nothing like any painkiller I’ve ever had. I’ll continue to make it the 4-1-1 way.
Posted By: BaardJ

Re: Painkiller Mix—OCD - 05/19/2019 02:50 AM

Personally I find any Painkiller too sweet. Much prefer the Soggy Dollar Bar "Soggy Man" - 6 different rum shots over ice. The one I had today was delicious.
Posted By: ligot

Re: Painkiller Mix—OCD - 05/19/2019 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by BaardJ
Personally I find any Painkiller too sweet. Much prefer the Soggy Dollar Bar "Soggy Man" - 6 different rum shots over ice. The one I had today was delicious.

Now you're just rubbing it in! On the personal side I LOVE them but you're right, they are sweet and I can only have a couple at a time. So even at home I make the big pitcher so I don't have to dig into the creme de coco for just one drink (the ones I make "might" be bigger than the Soggy Dollar ones). smile
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline