TravelTalkOnline

crewed charter

Posted By: ugo

crewed charter - 05/18/2019 08:00 PM

Anyone have recommendations on a crewed charter?
We've been to the BVI many times. Unfortunately our captain is no longer with us, but we'd like to come back to that 'slice of heaven'.
We can charter a boat and hire a captain, or 'rent' a couple cabins on another boat. Any ideas.
Posted By: mcevog

Re: crewed charter - 05/18/2019 10:23 PM

Most companies will offer the opportunity of a boat with a skipper for an extra fee. This is not a crewed charter of course, but the boat will be expertly skippered for only a fraction extra on the cost of chartering the boat. TMM has good connections in the skipper community in the BVI and will match you and your team up with a very suitable skipper. Give them a call or drop me a message. Happy to assist.
Posted By: warren460

Re: crewed charter - 05/18/2019 11:01 PM

Graeme is great to deal with. Send him a pm.

Re: crewed charter - 05/19/2019 12:29 AM

Thanks!
I've done a little research...nothing in depth yet.
But it seems renting a cabin would be a bit cheaper per person. There will be 4 of us, possibly 5 The fees with chartering that I have seen will have to add provisioning, booze, fuel, water, insurance, mooring balls, cruising permits, National Park fee, plus the captain...and feeding the captain at $52.00 a day!
And I've seen some cabin rentals for $2000.00 each. Might actually be cheaper than chartering and captain.
I'm hoping to find some TTOLers who might have had experience going that route.

Re: crewed charter - 05/19/2019 02:04 AM

correction....that is $2000.00 per person, not per cabin.
Posted By: PermaVacation

Re: crewed charter - 05/22/2019 02:37 PM

Try Jenny Goya thru Owner Time Charters.
She charters the entire boat, no by-the-cabins, but she's a wiz at getting great discounts on different sized boats.

Re: crewed charter - 05/23/2019 07:45 PM

saw one boat owner/captain online....said Guests are responsible for all government taxes, and permit fees.
Can someone give me an idea of what those costs would be for 4 people?

Re: crewed charter - 05/23/2019 10:58 PM

Where is the boat based?
Posted By: RatmansWife

Re: crewed charter - 05/23/2019 11:19 PM

There is no such thing as a free lunch - you will pay one way or the other. Don’t forget the tips; ask about them before you sign up. Personally, setting the itinerary myself would be worth a lot.

$52.00/day for the captain’s food is not much. BVI restaurant prices have skyrocketed, and you would struggle to buy three meals for that.

Re: crewed charter - 05/24/2019 12:32 AM

boat is based in the BVI....not sure where.

Re: crewed charter - 05/24/2019 03:30 AM

The daily pp cruising tax is much less for a bvi boat. I think it’s $6 pp per day. There is a national parks fee. It’s much lower and might be around $25 per week or so for your group.
Posted By: CherylWegner

Re: crewed charter - 06/07/2019 01:12 AM

I highly recommend Breanker. Kristian and Marriane have been running charters in the BVI for 27 years and are top notch hosts, and more importantly, excellent sailors. Their's is a classic catamaran, full of charm and grace, and I've got my 7th trip with them planned already!
Posted By: bailau

Re: crewed charter - 06/07/2019 01:29 AM

My first trip was with Breanker about 8 years ago...K&M are great hosts +1
Posted By: ligot

Re: crewed charter - 06/08/2019 12:05 PM

Have you looked into charter brokers? I think Virgin Island Sailing (visailing.com) has a number of listings. I used them years ago for a New Years charter and appreciated the service although it wasn't for crewed.

Dave
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline