TravelTalkOnline

CGB entrance channel

Posted By: Michel_Benarrosh

CGB entrance channel - 06/04/2019 02:13 AM

Hello all:

Last year, the reef markers at the entrance of CGB had not been reinstalled since IRMA, making the entrance a little dicey...

Can someone tell me if the markers are back?

Thank you very much.

Michel Benarrosh
sailonline.com
Posted By: warren460

Re: CGB entrance channel - 06/04/2019 02:51 AM

Still a little dicy as of a few weeks ago.
Posted By: JasonHelmbrecht

Re: CGB entrance channel - 06/04/2019 04:12 AM

Only the green marker is in place currently.
Posted By: dayhiker

Re: CGB entrance channel - 06/04/2019 12:52 PM

I only recall a green as of a week ago.
Posted By: xrayman67

Re: CGB entrance channel - 06/04/2019 03:30 PM

I line up the peak of Great Tobago with the south edge of Jost off my stern. This lines up perfectly with the channel and keeps me safely away from the reef.
Posted By: warren460

Re: CGB entrance channel - 06/04/2019 08:39 PM

The green is very difficult to see in some lighting
Posted By: louismcc

Re: CGB entrance channel - 06/05/2019 03:59 AM

For our trip last July I had loaded Walker's waypoints for the outer and inner channels and followed those as we (unsuccessfully) tried to find the markers. In good daylight it isn't a difficult entrance.

Re: CGB entrance channel - 06/05/2019 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by louismcc
For our trip last July I had loaded Walker's waypoints for the outer and inner channels and followed those as we (unsuccessfully) tried to find the markers. In good daylight it isn't a difficult entrance.

Thank you, but... where can I find Walker's waypoints?? Please forgive my ignorance..
Posted By: DSpeer

Re: CGB entrance channel - 06/05/2019 02:35 PM

Walker's information is a great resource. Unfortunately, he stopped following TTOL awhile ago due to a grievance with someone on the BVI forum

http://bvipirate.com/BVIWaypoints.html

Re: CGB entrance channel - 06/05/2019 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by DSpeer
Walker's information is a great resource. Unfortunately, he stopped following TTOL awhile ago due to a grievance with someone on the BVI forum

http://bvipirate.com/BVIWaypoints.html

Thank you very much. Do you feel the waypoints for markers are up to date?
Posted By: JasonHelmbrecht

Re: CGB entrance channel - 06/05/2019 04:27 PM

[quote=Michel_Benarrosh

Thank you very much. Do you feel the waypoints for markers are up to date?[/quote]

As far as CGB goes, there are no longer inner and outer markers so I would not use them. It's a very easy entrance even with only 1 green marker. Enter with the green marker on your port side. As long as the marker is less than 2 boat lengths off your port side, you will have plenty of room.
Posted By: DSpeer

Re: CGB entrance channel - 06/05/2019 04:31 PM

That I can't say but those waypoints will still mark the entrance regardless of if the makers are there or have drifted. It's a pretty straight forward entrance, just favor the north side keeping the green marker to port and head straight in. I usually just do what xrayman67 says and just line up peak of Tobago with the south edge of Jost.
Posted By: captdennyj

Re: CGB entrance channel - 06/08/2019 04:21 PM

We were just there a week or so ago, and yes , there is only one green buoy watching on station,,.for the entrance pass to Cane Garden Bay.

We did not use GPS, but we did use that one green buoy, and a mag heading of 117 degrees on the boats compass.....also posted a bow watch. No problem.

However, while kicking back on our mooring, we did witness several large catamarans motoring over the top of the reef not even close to the pass . They just roared over the reef, and raced thru the mooring field.
to pick up a mooring in Cane Garden Bay,

Never saw that happen , ever, in previous trips.....times they are a changing.

So, heads up to mono hull skippers......do not follow one of those type of Catamarans over the reef. You might want to use coastal piloting, and eyeball Nav thru the pass.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline